ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Living in NI and working in Ireland

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

old_boy
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Living in NI and working in Ireland

Post by old_boy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi,

I am going to apply for British citizenship on the base of 6 years continuous residency (I have a PR card and 1 year stay after getting it). All this time I have been living in Northern Ireland, where I attended university. I also started working in ROI two years ago and every day I cross the border to go to work. On top of that, I have a certain income as a self-employed person.

What concerns me is the fact that I am working and paying taxes in Ireland, despite being an UK resident (where I also pay taxes based on my self-employment). Could that become an issue when they are reviewing my application?

Thanks

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: Living in NI and working in Ireland

Post by cyclina1 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:20 pm

old_boy wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 pm
Hi,

I am going to apply for British citizenship on the base of 6 years continuous residency (I have a PR card and 1 year stay after getting it). All this time I have been living in Northern Ireland, where I attended university. I also started working in ROI two years ago and every day I cross the border to go to work. On top of that, I have a certain income as a self-employed person.

What concerns me is the fact that I am working and paying taxes in Ireland, despite being an UK resident (where I also pay taxes based on my self-employment). Could that become an issue when they are reviewing my application?

Thanks
So do you mean your home address is in NI but you cross the border everyday for work in Ireland?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

old_boy
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by old_boy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Exactly. My address has always been in NI and I cross the border every day to go to work.

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing

Post by nidaulhaque » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 pm

So when you cross the boarder do you need to show your passport? Do they scan it everyday?

Papillon2018
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by Papillon2018 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:08 pm

I also live in NI. There is no real border for immigration check between NI and ROI. Please move from both side like you travel between two citites of one country...

old_boy
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by old_boy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:09 am

That's correct, there are no border checks.

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing

Post by nidaulhaque » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Then it should not be issue, no requirment for employment or taxes for BC. Just mention your employment and self employment.

All you have to do provide them 5 years proof if residance