ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Very short credibility interview need advice.

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sew
Pakistan

Very short credibility interview need advice.

Post by sew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:16 am

Today I had my tier 4 credibility interview at vfs office via video link along with biometrics.
Before the start of the interview I was told by the Interviewer that he has only have 4 mins to conduct the interview.
I was rushed through the 4 questions
Why you chose this course
Why you chose this university
Why you chose U.K.
Your future plans
I was told to answer very briefly and wrap up answers quickly. Is this normal? Should I complain somewhere?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Very short credibility interview need advice.

Post by sah10406 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:47 am

You want to complain because you didn't get a tough enough credibility interview? Are you joking?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

sew
Pakistan

Post by sew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:55 am

I’m not complaining about it not being tough. I’m just saying I didn’t get enough time to finish answering the questions.
If I had 4-5 criteria’s of choosing the university I could only mention 2.
Even for 4 simple questions I wasn’t given enough time to answer properly.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 am

To be honest, it sounds like you had rehearsed and memorised lengthy answers, rather than simply answering naturally what you were asked. That will have been obvious to the interviewer so they may have been trying to force you into more natural responses.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

sew
Pakistan

Post by sew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:07 am

I didn’t memorise the answers but I did keep in my mind main pointers. Like the facilities, research labs names, industrial collaboration names etc that are important for my degree and course.
Same with the modules that are part of the course.
My degree is quiet technical and for that reason Ofcourse something’s need to be remembered like important terms and names.

sew
Pakistan

Post by sew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:15 am

More over I was told the interview duration even before the start of the interview. I didn’t know there was a fixed time to conduct interviews.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

sew wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:15 am
More over I was told the interview duration even before the start of the interview. I didn’t know there was a fixed time to conduct interviews.
Unfortunately, many applicants in Pakistan think memorising detailed responses proves their credibility, when in fact it proves the opposite. It is not at all surprising to me that interviewers take steps to force applicants away from that approach by limiting the time.

It is actually helpful of them to make applicants think on the spot and give more natural responses. if they allowed all applicants to give their prepared monologue, they would all be refused on credibility.

sew
Pakistan

Post by sew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 am

Answering on the spot doesn’t mean it will be short reply. I spent time researching universities and courses. Ofcourse I will try to let them know all the findings that resulted my decision to opt for this university.
You don’t choose a university just because it ranked good or because it was in a particular city. I had valid reasoning that were relavent to my course and university.
Given the fact that the other person is typing you are also told to speak slowly and are constantly reconfirmed. I just think it’s unfair.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44 am

sew wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 am
I just think it’s unfair.
I have to disagree. I think you may be giving too much weight to the credibility interview, academically speaking.

My hunch is that this is quite a common approach, but if you have genuine concerns that you have been treated differently and unfairly to other applicants, I encourage you to raise the matter with the international student adviser at your sponsor university.

SamTiger
Mood:
India

Post by SamTiger » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 am

I have come across a student who had his interview for only 5 minutes, I think, in 2015. He received his visa. Additional questions are chosen based on your immigration history which may lengthen the interview time. Wait positively for the outcome. Hope you made good impression in those 4 mins. Good luck.

sew
Pakistan

Post by sew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am

May be you’re right and I’m over thinking. The fact that every course, level of education and aptitude of the person applying is different you can’t expect the same time limit for them all to reply the questions.
An Undergrad applicant May have a straightforward reply but for Postgraduate You do need to have more sound and in-depth idea of your choices.

Thanks for the last reply sah10406 as it was more relavent to my My question that if it’s a common practice to limit time I shouldn’t be worried but if it’s not then I can take it up further.

sew
Pakistan

Post by sew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:58 am

SamTiger wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 am
I have come across a student who had his interview for only 5 minutes, I think, in 2015. He received his visa. Additional questions are chosen based on your immigration history which may lengthen the interview time. Wait positively for the outcome. Hope you made good impression in those 4 mins. Good luck.
Thanks samTiger I hope so too.

san1z
Pakistan

Post by san1z » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:02 pm

You'll receive a call from UKVI for a second interview. They probably rush the interview because of the shortage of time. I received a call for an interview a few days before the decision was made.
What I'll recommend is use headphones during the interview and ask them to repeat any question you couldn't hear properly. In the end, you'll be asked if you were able to understand all questions, You should ask the interviewer to repeat all questions and the answers you gave just to be sure that you didn't miss anything. Make sure the phone number you provided stays on and check your emails on daily basis. If they can't reach you on phone, they'll send you an email.

There's a slim chance that you won't get a call for the second interview but be prepared for anything that comes.

sew
Pakistan

Post by sew » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:54 am

san1z wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:02 pm
You'll receive a call from UKVI for a second interview. They probably rush the interview because of the shortage of time. I received a call for an interview a few days before the decision was made.
What I'll recommend is use headphones during the interview and ask them to repeat any question you couldn't hear properly. In the end, you'll be asked if you were able to understand all questions, You should ask the interviewer to repeat all questions and the answers you gave just to be sure that you didn't miss anything. Make sure the phone number you provided stays on and check your emails on daily basis. If they can't reach you on phone, they'll send you an email.

There's a slim chance that you won't get a call for the second interview but be prepared for anything that comes.
Thankyou san1z for the headsup that was really helpful. I’ll keep all these things in mind. I have provided my mobile number , will make sure it’s charged at all times and with me. Did they let you know in advance about the time &fate? Or it was a surprise call?
Does the interviewer on phone type your answers as well?

san1z
Pakistan

Post by san1z » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:41 am

sew wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:54 am
Did they let you know in advance about the time &fate? Or it was a surprise call?
Does the interviewer on phone type your answers as well?
Well they tried calling first but since i was traveling, I had no cell coverage so they emailed me
after trying and scheduled an interview.

Yes, they do type the answers, and they make a lot of mistakes so that's why you should ask them to repeat all questions and answers in the end.

sew
Pakistan

Post by sew » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:39 am

Thankyou so much san1z for all the suggestions, I will keep them in my mind if I’m interviewed again.

sew
Pakistan

Post by sew » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:12 am

Thankyou everyone for your valuable input I received my visa today.