ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK citizen and US citizen marrying in Europe

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

L95T
Newly Registered

UK citizen and US citizen marrying in Europe

Post by L95T » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:36 am

My girlfriend and I are considering marriage. We would like to get married in Europe but we are not sure what visas/documents would be needed, if any. I'm a UK citizen and she is a US citizen. Do some European countries allow binationals to marry there?

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: UK citizen and US citizen marrying in Europe

Post by Caravel88 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 pm

You can get married pretty much anywhere in Europe.
Neither one of you is binational unless you or your gf got multiple passports, which is irrelevant for the purposes of marriage in the EU.

L95T wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:36 am
My girlfriend and I are considering marriage. We would like to get married in Europe but we are not sure what visas/documents would be needed, if any. I'm a UK citizen and she is a US citizen. Do some European countries allow binationals to marry there?

L95T
Newly Registered

Post by L95T » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Do you know which country would be easiest and require the least documentation/visas in order for us to take a vacation there and get married during it?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:21 pm

L95T wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 pm
Do you know which country would be easiest and require the least documentation/visas in order for us to take a vacation there and get married during it?
Denmark is usually easiest and quickest. You can DIY or book a marriage/holiday package :)
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:07 am

Somewhere in Denmark is considered the easiest but once you have all the docs you need it's more or less the same everywhere. I mean, how hard is it to get married in the UK realistically? It's not a hard thing at all.
L95T wrote:

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:31 am

Caravel88 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:07 am
Somewhere in Denmark is considered the easiest but once you have all the docs you need it's more or less the same everywhere. I mean, how hard is it to get married in the UK realistically? It's not a hard thing at all.
L95T wrote:
Only that some countries then - depending on nationality - send all your documents to their Embassy in the non-EU partner's home country and have every detail checked, which can take up to 6 months or so and of course there is an exorbitant fee for that which is non-refundable in case they find a little detail that doesn't match up or if a neighbour or relative or friend says something that doesn't match what the applicant said. Yes, in many countries the Embassy will interview friends and family to find out about marital status and intentions of the non-EU partner.

That's why I got married in Denmark and not in Germany or Switzerland, which would have been my other options.

For a UK marriage, the US partner needs a marriage visitor visa (NOT a regular visit visa or visa waiver!!!), notice has to be given at a home office designated register office and the notice period can be extended from 28 to 70 days.

Easiest would probably be to marry in the US, since this can be done on a tourist visa/visa waiver and is really easy documentation-wise.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.