ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship through Irish Descent / Assosciations

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

matt777
Newly Registered
United States of America

Irish Citizenship through Irish Descent / Assosciations

Post by matt777 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:57 am

Hello Everyone,

New here and have tried to read a couple forums before posting, but most posts regarding citizenship through association were a couple years old.

I'm interested in obtaining dual citizenship, and would like to apply for my Irish Citizenship. My great grandmother was born in Ireland. My grandmother was born in America, as well as my mother, and then myself. My mother never applied for Citizenship, and never registered in the Foreign Births Affairs.

I see under applying for Citizenship by Naturalization, there is a section that states :

"In some circumstances the Minister for Justice and Equality may approve an application for citizenship, even if all the above conditions are not met, for someone who:
- Is of Irish descent or has Irish associations"

My question is would I be able to apply, providing birth and marriage records proving my relation to my great grandmother and her birth in Ireland to obtain my Irish Citizenship? Has anyone gone this route and obtained their Citizenship? Or does anyone know of any other option I may have.

I do not and have not lived in Ireland, just as a small FYI.

Thank you for your help in advance,
Happy New Year

Matthew.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Irish Citizenship through Irish Descent / Assosciations

Post by Michael123 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:37 am

The chances of you obtaining that is slim and it would be a very long wait. Some FBR applicants have waited over a year when there has been concrete proof. Forst you would need to gather all the documents and file some sort of letter. The documents cost can add quickly and the chances are slim.

matt777
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by matt777 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:02 pm

I understand the chances of it being approved may be slim. But I would like to try and am willing to spend the application fee for the chance.

Was wondering if anyone else has gone this route?

In my case would my need for residency in Ireland be waived ?

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:34 pm

Apologies but do you even have a good reason to request citizenship? I suspect this category is most often used as an honorific for people of Irish heritage who have made significant contributions to Irish culture world-wide like the late Pres. John F. Kennedy. Also helps to be politically connected and very rich.