ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - Avoiding 6 week absence issue

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dunks1887
United States of America

Naturalisation - Avoiding 6 week absence issue

Post by dunks1887 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Hello,

I am a US national married to an Irish national. I became eligible to apply for naturalisation based on 3 years of marriage to an Irish citizen this past January.

However, I have traveled outside the State extensively in the past 3 years and have had a total of 140 days outside of Ireland during that time. If I add those days to the date I was technically eligible to apply for naturalisation in January, would I be safe to apply this coming July? That would allow enough time to make up for the days I was absent from the state since moving to Ireland.

At that time I will also have only been absent from the state for 35 days in the past calendar year, which is below the 6 week allowance.

Any advice would be appreciated!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Naturalisation - Avoiding 6 week absence issue

Post by littlerr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:02 pm

You've answered the question yourself :)
6 weeks rule is a must nowadays unless you have very good excuses. Even with that, you are at the mercy of the minister who can still reject your application for this reason.