ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration as British Citizen or Indefinite Leave to Remain?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

thisiscomplicated
Newly Registered
Australia

Registration as British Citizen or Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Post by thisiscomplicated » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:08 pm

I'm an Australian citizen who has worked in the UK for 5 years on a Tier 2 General visa. I'm about to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) for myself and my two dependent children associated with my visa. After reading about applying for citizenship I thought I might be able to skip the ILR for my children and register them as a Bristish Citizen?
This may?? be possible as my wife, who is also an Australian citizen, came to the UK at the same time using a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode. Since arriving in the UK she has become a British Citizen and now holds both a British and Australian passport. To complicate matters we have recently separated but both intend to remain in the UK and she would support any application.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Registration as British Citizen or Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 am

Children born in the UK are entitled to register as British citizen if at least one parent is granted settlement (ILR or Citizenship).
Children born abroad can be registered too but they are expected to have ILR, along with both parents and it is also expected that at least one parent is or is applying to become a British. However these expectations can be set aside and the child can still be registered if you can make a compelling case (e.g. if both parents are British)
Applications for such children (born abroad) is an application at discretion, not an entitlement/right. :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

thisiscomplicated
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Registration as British Citizen or Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Post by thisiscomplicated » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:15 am

Thank you! Yes, that makes sense. I don't have ILR yet so I think for certainity we'll just all apply for ILR.