ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British National moving to Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Tweety2019
Newly Registered

British National moving to Germany

Post by Tweety2019 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm british national and my father is a German National but both of us are living in UK. Whereas, My husband is living in Germany but he is on student visa. He cannot sponsor me currently due to financial issue and Im planning to move into Germany on my behalf. So which would be the best process to follow?

secret.simon

Re: British National moving to Germany

Post by secret.simon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:15 pm

If you move before Brexit, currently due on 12th April, you may retain rights to reside in Germany under existing EU law even in case of a hard/no-deal Brexit.

But obviously, you will have to move fast.

Also, did your father acquire German citizenship after you were born? Have you looked into whether you can acquire German citizenship through him? When and where were you born and was your father a German citizen at the time of your birth?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Tweety2019
Newly Registered

Post by Tweety2019 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Yes, He was a German national when i was born and I was Born in Pakistan But I'm now 24 and I'm not sure if I can still apply through my father at this age.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Tweety2019 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:37 pm
He was a German national when i was born and I was Born in Pakistan
You may be a German citizen by descent automatically if your parents were married at the time of your birth.

Acquiring German citizenship

You can try contacting the German Federal Administration (BVA) in Germany for further advice about your claim to German citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Tweety2019 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:37 pm
Yes, He was a German national when i was born and I was Born in Pakistan But I'm now 24 and I'm not sure if I can still apply through my father at this age.
How and when did you acquire British citizenship?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Tweety2019
Newly Registered

Post by Tweety2019 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:15 pm

My father moved to UK few years back and me as well and I got my British nationality this year.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:39 am

Tweety2019 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:15 pm
My father moved to UK few years back and me as well and I got my British nationality this year.
Okay, that's good. (Had you naturalised before 2007, I think it was, you'd have lost your German citizenship automatically by naturalising as British.)

I don't see why you wouldn't be a German national from birth. You could have applied for a German passport at the German Embassy in Islamabad at any time.

Just make an appointment at your nearest German Embassy/Consulate, download and fill in the forms, gather necessary documents and apply for a passport and/or a German national ID card.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.