ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Support Letter: Accomodation

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

yppaul180
Newly Registered

Support Letter: Accomodation

Post by yppaul180 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:19 am

Hello All,

My wife and I currently live in Canada and I recently got a job to return to the UK (I am British) and she is coming with me. We currently do not have a place in the UK that we own but we have a friend that owns a two bed in London and she is single and lives alone. She wrote us a letter that says that she is willing to have us there for as long as needed and that we are not in violation of the overcrowding act (its a house with a living room, Spam, bathroom and 2 bedrooms) and we also submitted a copy of the deed that has her name on from the land registry. In my support letter I am providing the below to offer context. Any thoughts?

Accommodation
With regards to accommodation we are planning on staying in the 2nd bedroom of our family friend XYZ. XYZ and I have been friends for over a decade and she met my wife ABC right when we started dating. XYZ is single and lives alone at her apartment and travels abroad and within the UK constantly so the flat is mostly vacant. We will have our own bedroom and we will share the bathroom, living room and Spam. In addition to living at XYZ we will start viewing apartments upon arrival to move into an apartment in Vauxhall, London as it will be close to my work.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Support Letter: Accomodation

Post by seagul » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:30 am

yppaul180 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:19 am
Hello All,

My wife and I currently live in Canada and I recently got a job to return to the UK (I am British) and she is coming with me.
Apart of having job offer in UK you must have earned previously equivalent to at least £18600 outside the UK otherwise you will have to stay at your UK job for at least 6 months to sponsor your partner.
yppaul180 wrote:

We currently do not have a place in the UK that we own but we have a friend that owns a two bed in London and she is single and lives alone. She wrote us a letter that says that she is willing to have us there for as long as needed and that we are not in violation of the overcrowding act (its a house with a living room, Spam, bathroom and 2 bedrooms) and we also submitted a copy of the deed that has her name on from the land registry. In my support letter I am providing the below to offer context. Any thoughts?

That's fine but you will also need to attach property inspection report because you will share the accommodation.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

yppaul180
Newly Registered

Post by yppaul180 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:41 am

seagul wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:30 am
yppaul180 wrote:
Hello All,

My wife and I currently live in Canada and I recently got a job to return to the UK (I am British) and she is coming with me.
Apart of having job offer in UK you must have earned previously equivalent to at least £18600 outside the UK otherwise you will have to stay at your UK job for at least 6 months to sponsor your partner.
yppaul180 wrote:

We currently do not have a place in the UK that we own but we have a friend that owns a two bed in London and she is single and lives alone. She wrote us a letter that says that she is willing to have us there for as long as needed and that we are not in violation of the overcrowding act (its a house with a living room, Spam, bathroom and 2 bedrooms) and we also submitted a copy of the deed that has her name on from the land registry. In my support letter I am providing the below to offer context. Any thoughts?

That's fine but you will also need to attach property inspection report because you will share the accommodation.

Thank you so much for your reply. Is the inspection report mandatory? My friend is constantly traveling so I really hope I can get away with out one. I read the HO reports and they say it can be submitting but I didn't read that it is mandatory.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:53 am

yppaul180 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:41 am
seagul wrote:
yppaul180 wrote:
Hello All,

yppaul180 wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply. Is the inspection report mandatory? My friend is constantly traveling so I really hope I can get away with out one. I read the HO reports and they say it can be submitting but I didn't read that it is mandatory.
When you sharing the accommodation with someone then inspection report becomes mandatory regardless of how many days someone actually live there. There are several threads about it where the members had to submit the inspection report when they sharing to satisfy HO that there is no overcrowding.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

yppaul180
Newly Registered

Post by yppaul180 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:58 am

seagul wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:53 am
yppaul180 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:41 am
seagul wrote:
yppaul180 wrote:
Hello All,

yppaul180 wrote:

When you sharing the accommodation with someone then inspection report becomes mandatory regardless of how many days someone actually live there. There are several threads about it where the members had to submit the inspection report when they sharing to satisfy HO that there is no overcrowding.
Thank you. One last question: Do you think I can get good hotel accommodation instead for like 25 days? I know they want "permanent" accommodation but its hard to get it from all the way over here in London which is a market that moves quickly.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:12 am

Your option to stay with friend is more suitable although you can change it to other accomodation options after getting the visa.

adshahmat

Post by adshahmat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:48 pm

yppaul180: See the advice given here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... x_1_7A.pdf

There is absolutely no mention of a "mandatory property inspection report", as suggested by seagul. In fact, there's not even any mention of a "property inspection report". Furthermore, since the UKVI don't publish a list of recognised and accredited property surveyors, exactly whose 'property inspection report' would UKVI trust? Very few local councils offer this service anymore.

A property inspection report is suggested as something that COULD be included as evidence of suitable accommodation, here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... lement.pdf

Inevitably, certain independent companies have seized upon this, and now offer this rather expensive service nationwide. For one thing, they will tell you that a detailed floor plan of the property must be submitted, yet Appendix FM 1.7A clearly states:

'For immigration purposes we do not look at the floor area for each room as it is complex to
evidence and assess. We focus on the number of permitted occupants based on the number
of rooms'.

Therefore, seagul: Could you please clarify your use of the word "mandatory" in your advice above.

adshahmat

Post by adshahmat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Also from Appendix FM 1.7A:

8.3. Housing standards
Local authorities have the power to set the housing standards that must be met in their area.
While it will not generally be necessary to approach the local authority in each case to see
whether their standards are met, the applicant should provide sufficient evidence that the
accommodation will be adequate. This may take the form for example of a letter from a
housing authority or building society or a description of the property that the decision maker
can be satisfied is accurate and genuine.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:10 pm

There are several threads are available over this issue which you can search by using the search facility. Guidance won't give you your desired answer so read again the same guidance and try to understand the definition of overcrowding. HO need to be satisfied that the property won't be overcrowded and there is only way to confirm it through property inspection report.

adshahmat

Post by adshahmat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:25 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:10 pm
Guidance won't give you your desired answer so read again the same guidance...
:?

I'm fully aware of the rules regarding overcrowding. But how on earth would a property inspection report convince an ECO that a property is overcrowded or not?

Take yppaul180's situation as an example. Another couple might already live in his friend's spare bedroom... they would simply need to disappear on the day of the inspection.

A property inspection report would give comprehensive details of the property, and highlight whether it's fit for living in, environmental issues, etc. It could not strictly prove overcrowding issues.

In completing Appendix 2 of VAF4A, the applicant is required to give full accommodation details, including how many bedrooms the property has and exactly who is currently living there (including ages and passport details). The applicant is required to be absolutely truthful, and the ECO is required to believe the applicant.

Pardon my ignorance, but where's the 'search' facility on this forum? Alternatively, maybe you could link me to the threads which suggest that a property inspection report is 'mandatory'.

Many thanks.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Well then better you apply without inspection report but do let us know the consequences.

adshahmat

Post by adshahmat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:17 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:48 pm
Well then better you apply without inspection report but do let us know the consequences.
And which company would you recommend I use for my property inspection report? :wink:

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:23 pm

adshahmat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:17 pm
seagul wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:48 pm
And which company would you recommend I use for my property inspection report? :wink:
Any nearest reasonable estate agent.

adshahmat

Post by adshahmat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:24 pm

It doesn't actually apply to me, seagul; my own accommodation situation won't require a property inspection report.

It's more a case of arguing that any such report couldn't prove or disprove overcrowding. Ten people could be living in a two-bedroom property, but the 'surveyor' is told that only two people live there. How would an ECO know for sure?

I guess the OP can decide whether or not he will ask his friend to apply for a property inspection report.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:30 am

adshahmat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:24 pm
It doesn't actually apply to me, seagul; my own accommodation situation won't require a property inspection report.

It's more a case of arguing that any such report couldn't prove or disprove overcrowding. Ten people could be living in a two-bedroom property, but the 'surveyor' is told that only two people live there. How would an ECO know for sure?

I guess the OP can decide whether or not he will ask his friend to apply for a property inspection report.
@adshahmat: you should write in your own thread and if you are the same person who opened this thread & now with different user name to get your desired answer then its against the rules of forum. Anyway regarding your question that how HO will know then the answer will be yes they can know by simply home visit or liaising with council voter register or other similar ways.

adshahmat

Post by adshahmat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:34 am

seagul wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:30 am
@adshahmat: you should write in your own thread and if you are the same person who opened this thread & now with different user name to get your desired answer then its against the rules of forum. Anyway regarding your question that how HO will know then the answer will be yes they can know by simply home visit or liaising with council voter register or other similar ways.
Exactly... If UKVI is suspicious of the answers given on an applicant's Appendix 2 form, they can conduct a home visit, check the electoral roll, contact the local council, etc.

So what's the point of a property inspection report!

I'm simply offering a different opinion to you. Try not to be offended. You advised the OP that a property inspection report would be MANDATORY in his case. I offered a different opinion, citing actual HO documents. If you could cite cases where a settlement application has been refused / delayed due to lack of a property inspection report, that might really help the OP (and others reading this thread). But you have offered nothing. If you could cite official HO documents, that, too, might be really helpful. But again, you have offered nothing.

As I see it, there are a good few unscrupulous companies out there, offering completely worthless 'property inspection reports' for £100+. The only qualification most of them appear to have is a tape measure. Don't you think settlement visa applicants have already paid enough? One thing's for sure: If I operated one of these unscrupulous companies, I would probably hang around on forums such as this, highlighting the importance of a property inspection report.

I'm sure the OP values your opinion, but unless you can cite concrete evidence of failed applications or official HO documents, I suggest you stop using the word 'mandatory'. It's likely to worry people.

ariamus
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by ariamus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:43 am

Our home inspection report was done by the local Council for £60.

They asked for a list of people residing there, and I guess, they cross referenced with the people against the Council Tax record. By law, the Council Tax dept should be advised of every person residing, whatever their ages.

The inspection letter listed all the people residing there and there was a calculation per Overcrowding rules as to the number of Units available vs the number of people.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:00 am

adshahmat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:34 am

So what's the point of a property inspection report!

I'm simply offering a different opinion to you. Try not to be offended. You advised the OP that a property inspection report would be MANDATORY in his case. I offered a different opinion, citing actual HO documents. If you could cite cases where a settlement application has been refused / delayed due to lack of a property inspection report, that might really help the OP (and others reading this thread). But you have offered nothing. If you could cite official HO documents, that, too, might be really helpful. But again, you have offered nothing.

I'm sure the OP values your opinion, but unless you can cite concrete evidence of failed applications or official HO documents, I suggest you stop using the word 'mandatory'. It's likely to worry people.
seagul wrote:
read again the same guidance and try to understand the definition of overcrowding. HO need to be satisfied that the property won't be overcrowded and there is only way to confirm it through property inspection report.[/size]

adshahmat

Post by adshahmat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:46 am

seagul wrote:
read again the same guidance and try to understand the definition of overcrowding. HO need to be satisfied that the property won't be overcrowded and there is only way to confirm it through property inspection report.[/size]
Blimey... you really don't like your opinion being challenged, do you?
Now you're shouting in a big, black font! :P

No, you're wrong, a property inspection report is not the ONLY way to confirm it. You have not taken that advice from an official HO document, so stop telling people that! Stop using the word 'mandatory'. My wife and I have already been through the 5-year settlement process, and we never even came close to submitting a property inspection report.

As you said yourself, if an ECO does not trust the responses offered on an applicant's Appendix 2 form, he or she can make his or her own enquiries (to the local council, land registry, property websites, etc, etc). Even with a worthless report from a completely unrecognised company, a diligent ECO might still make his or her own enquiries if suspicious of the applicant's responses and the credentials of an unrecognised company.

Applicants can do their own research, and make up their own minds regarding the necessity of these reports. Let's leave it there.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:12 am

adshahmat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:46 am
seagul wrote:
Blimey... you really don't like your opinion being challenged, do you?
Now you're shouting in a big, black font! :P

No, you're wrong, a property inspection report is not the ONLY way to confirm it. You have not taken that advice from an official HO document, so stop telling people that! Stop using the word 'mandatory'. My wife and I have already been through the 5-year settlement process, and we never even came close to submitting a property inspection report.

As you said yourself, if an ECO does not trust the responses offered on an applicant's Appendix 2 form, he or she can make his or her own enquiries (to the local council, land registry, property websites, etc, etc). Even with a worthless report from a completely unrecognised company, a diligent ECO might still make his or her own enquiries if suspicious of the applicant's responses and the credentials of an unrecognised company.

Applicants can do their own research, and make up their own minds regarding the necessity of these reports. Let's leave it there.
Since you haven’t received your desired reply so feel free to ignore the voluntary advise given as above. But you definitely share the consequences especially when you living with other non-related adults and apply without property inspection report. Also remember that not disclosing the actual number of tenants living in property can lead to deception where present & future applications might not succeed. All the best as I am leaving you alone here.