ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British nationality!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

User

Post by User » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:54 pm

Cheers Joseph.

Regarding the Taxation part, actually I am on PAYE. I take regular salaries and i pay I.tax and NI contrinutions every quarter.

My accountatn has helped me set up a PAYE. I remain the director and an employee in my company and take salaries and pay Class 1 NICs along with Income tax payments.
Till date i have not taken any dividends. Its been only salaries.

I have been doing this for 2.5 years now.

So i guess i will have to tick both self-employed and Director check-boxes in the sheet where they ask what is my employment status.

regards.

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:05 pm

User

Being on PAYE makes it better for you. :D I would tick the box that you are an employee and director, which makes it easy for them to verify against your PAYE, no questions asked.

In your case you should just provide on the application form your PAYE reference and tax office address along with your NINO.

Joseph

User

Post by User » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:09 pm

Sure. I have got all that info ready :-)

So, Yes. I must tick the employee and director boxes. You re right.

Also i will have to quote the 3 points i had in my license because of this 5 years rule (althout the points have been taken off after 4 years).

regards.

John

Post by John » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:47 am

Ah, at last, IND website is working again! Here is the relevant text about convictions :-
You must give details of all criminal convictions. These include road traffic offences, but not fixed penalty notices which have not been given in a court. Fixed penalty notices include parking and speeding offences. Drink driving offences must be declared.
So User, if that speeding conviction was just from a fixed penalty notice, and not an appearance in Court, then no need to mention it.

That quote comes from Guide AN (NEW) - Naturalisation as a British Citizen

And sorry, when you said "take" I was overlooking the new checking service. It makes great sense to use that.

And also, are you employed or self-employed? I think the answer is employed. From what you have posted you are not self-employed ..... you just happen to own lots of the shares in the company that employs you.
John

User

Post by User » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:55 am

Cheers John.

Regarding employment, actually the comapny is mine. I registerered it and i am the only director and employee of the comany. I own all the shares in the company. I pay myself from the company regular monthly salaries and i issue checues to IRevenue for payments for ITax and NIC (Class 1 contributions) on a quarterly basis.

regards.

John

Post by John » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:22 am

User, OK maybe it is my Tax Consultant background, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Inland Revenue think that you are employed, and not self-employed.

I think fill in the form AN(NEW) on that basis.

And as regards your company's PAYE affairs, don't forget to fill the end-of-year return electronically ... and get the £250 tax-free gift from the Revenue!
John

User

Post by User » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:35 am

Sure John. Cheers.

Also in the application form, i will tick as employed and director check boxes. The next question asks about my employer's address:

i will write my trading address there which is same as my residential address.

This is becuase i do my consultancy work at my customer's sites.

I take it that would be fine.

Ta!

John

Post by John » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:48 am

User, will lets put it this way. I operate in a similar way as you. If I was personally filling in that form that is the way I would fill it in. That is I think the only logical way to proceed.
John