ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizen, Chinese wife - UK Visa

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Derohan
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish Citizen, Chinese wife - UK Visa

Post by Derohan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:36 am

I'm an Irish citizen who grew up from the age of 3 in the UK. I've been working in China for 3 years but still have an address and bank account there. I haven't applied for UK citizenship yet, but plan to when I return.
I'm married to a Chinese national and we're expecting a child in 6 months. We have significant savings and a plan to move back to the UK to start a business within the next 3 months.

Firstly, what is the visa process for my wife as a Chinese national married to an EU citizen to live/work in the UK?
Secondly, does my being in China for 3 years affect my application for UK citizenship?

Richard W
- thin ice -

Re: Irish Citizen, Chinese wife - UK Visa

Post by Richard W » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:24 pm

Derohan wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:36 am
Firstly, what is the visa process for my wife as a Chinese national married to an EU citizen to live/work in the UK?
She applies for a 'family permit' to travel with you. The variant under the EEA regulations will be slightly easier; she won't need to satisfy the ECO that she is not an EEA national.
Derohan wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:36 am
Secondly, does my being in China for 3 years affect my application for UK citizenship?
Yes. You will have to start the five year qualification period when you return. You may yet need to visit the Irish Republic at least a year before you apply for British citizenship.

Derohan
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Irish Citizen, Chinese wife - UK Visa

Post by Derohan » Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 am

Richard W, Thanks for the response.

She actually holds a tourist visa, which is still valid. Can we apply for the family visa on arrival? If she comes on a family visa, is she entitled to NHS treatment?