ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help — Can an EEA National travel with registration certificate??

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sgun
Newly Registered

Help — Can an EEA National travel with registration certificate??

Post by Sgun » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:25 am

Hi All,

Any help would be much appreciated as my husband is likely to be grounded in the UK for the next several months and miss a sibling's wedding if we cannot sort this out...

Background: The individual holds dual citizenship (EU & Non-EU), but his EU passport is about to expire and it is likely to take several months to renew. He needs to travel for work and personal reasons in the meantime. He can return to the UK with his Non-EU passport as it is from a non-visa country, but then he will most likely be admitted as a tourist, which will not be the correct immigration status as he is living & working in the UK.

Question: Can the EEA national, who also holds a non-EU citizenship (one that doesn't require a visa) return to the UK with the non-EU passport and the UK registration certificate and be admitted in the correct status?

Many thanks!!

MrSlyFox

Re: Help — Can an EEA National travel with registration certificate??

Post by MrSlyFox » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Hmm, I'm unsure but I think the immigration will be access the HO details and be admitted in their EU/EEA status i'd say just carry the expired (eu/eea) passport . But perhaps depending on their nationality can they acquire a national id card quicker than a passport renewal or a temporary passport? I'd contact your embassy and enquire

Sgun
Newly Registered

Post by Sgun » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:07 pm

MrSlyFox wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 pm
Hmm, I'm unsure but I think the immigration will be access the HO details and be admitted in their EU/EEA status i'd say just carry the expired (eu/eea) passport . But perhaps depending on their nationality can they acquire a national id card quicker than a passport renewal or a temporary passport? I'd contact your embassy and enquire
Hi MrSlyFox,

Thanks so much for your reply!

The EU Embassy in question is Italy, which is notoriously slow & bureaucratic. He can in fact try to get an ID card. However, his civil status is not currently up-to-date (appears single) and was told that in order to have a new passport, he needs to update it, which takes up to 6 months... I don't know if the same requirement (of having an up-to-date civil status) applies to the issuance of IDs as well.

Do you know if there is any way of getting a reliable answer from HO (or UK immigration at the airports) to the question of whether he can be admitted with the registration certificate?

Thanks!

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:04 pm

I believe that their are contact numbers for the staff at various airports in the uk floating around the forum, i'm not sure of the details myself but you might find something with a google search. I have a feeling that the most you'l hear tho is something along the line of only an immigration officer can make the find decision to admit someone to the uk. Which is vague and unhelpful. But I would suggest trying to contact somebody.

Having dealt with various government offices in different countries its just a pain, but i hope the Italian consulate can do somthing more speedy because ideally you can get a vaild passport or id card.

best wishes

Sgun
Newly Registered

Post by Sgun » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! Will try to get a hold of someone at the airport and see if they can provide any guidance. Fingers crossed about the Italian Embassy.

Best,

luhpaoli

Post by luhpaoli » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:14 pm

My husband is in the same situation, his Italian passport is expired and he is still waiting for his AIRE to finalize(God knows if they will stick with the 6 months). So I was wondering the same thing if he could enter with his non-Eu passport and his PR certificate. If you find an answer would be awesome if you could share it here =)

Sgun
Newly Registered

Post by Sgun » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:10 am

luhpaoli wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:14 pm
My husband is in the same situation, his Italian passport is expired and he is still waiting for his AIRE to finalize(God knows if they will stick with the 6 months). So I was wondering the same thing if he could enter with his non-Eu passport and his PR certificate. If you find an answer would be awesome if you could share it here =)
Hi luhpaoli,

He is travelling this week as he still has a month until his Italian passport expires. He will ask the question to the immigration officers at LHR on his return to the UK. I'll make sure to update this thread then.

Sgun
Newly Registered

Post by Sgun » Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 am

luhpaoli wrote:
Update: Both myself and my husband asked this question to immigration officers at the airport (Stansted and LHR) and the answer in both instances was yes. So yeyyy :)

luhpaoli

Post by luhpaoli » Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Sgun wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 am
luhpaoli wrote:
Update: Both myself and my husband asked this question to immigration officers at the airport (Stansted and LHR) and the answer in both instances was yes. So yeyyy :)
Ow wow wasn't expecting for that, great news! Thanks Sgun :)