ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA RC/PR vs (Pre)Settled Status

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamoe

EEA RC/PR vs (Pre)Settled Status

Post by kamoe » Tue May 21, 2019 3:33 pm

Recently there have been many different posts asking for advice about whether to apply for the EEA route or to the Settlement Scheme. Since there is no absolute recommended route that works best for everyone, as individual circumstances play a great role in the decision, I thought it would be useful to compile the key facts we have collectively gathered in this forum about each route, so people can use it as a reference to help them decide their next steps.

For clarity and space constraints, I have left out details related to eligibility, since this post is intended to help decide in the cases of 'all things being equal what route should I take' type of situations. It is the responsibility of the applicant to check if they are eligible for the different routes in the first place (links to all appropriate pages are given).

Please feel free to point out any errors (I've tried my best to be factual and correct), or add any detail that makes a difference from one route to the other.

EEA Route

For EU nationals
  • Qualified Person (QP)
    • It consists of a blue cardboard card.
    • It certifies that the holder is is exercising treaty rights in the UK.
    • It is completely optional, and does not confirm any more rights than a valid EU passport does. However, it can expedite the application for documentation for family members.
    • It costs £65.
    • Turnaround time from application posting to document delivery is around 1 month.
  • Permanent Residence (PR)
    • It consists of a blue cardboard card.
    • It certifies that the holder has acquired Permanent Residence in the UK.
    • The holder of PR should not leave the UK for more than 2 years after obtaining it.
    • PR cards expire on Dec 31st, 2020 or its printed expiration date, whichever is earlier.
    • Its validity is retroactive, i.e. an applicant can, in the appropriate circumstances, apply for British nationality straight after receiving PR (if PR is confirmed at a date a year or more earlier than application date).
    • It costs £65.
    • Turnaround time from application posting to document delivery is around 1 month.

For non-EU family members of EU-nationals
  • Family Permit (FP)
    • It consists of a sticker on the holder's passport to allow entry into the UK.
    • It is issued abroad and its purpose is to allow entry in the UK, and confirm a number of rights (work, rent, among others).
    • It is valid for 6 months.
    • It is free.
    • Turnaround time from application submission to document delivery varies among countries, but it is usually treated in priority.
  • Residence Card (RC) and Permanent Residence (PR)
    • It consists of a biometric card, otherwise known as Biometric Residence Card (BRC).
    • It is issued in the UK and its purpose is to confirm a number of rights (work, rent, among others).
    • Because they are issued under EU regulations, RCs and PRs allow visa-free travel if the holder is traveling with or joining their EU-national family member in any EU country.
    • The holder of PR should not leave the UK for more than 2 years after obtaining it.
    • Biometrics are enrolled in a drop-in basis at any eligible post office, no need to book appointment. Cost of biometric enrollment is around £20.
    • RCs and PRs are valid until December 31st 2020, or its printed expiration date, whichever is earlier.
    • Its validity is retroactive, i.e. an applicant can, in the appropriate circumstances, apply for British nationality straight after receiving PR (if PR is confirmed at a date a year or more earlier than application date).
    • It cost £65.

The Settlement Scheme - Pre-Settled and Settled Status

For all applicants
  • It certifies that the holder is registered as EU national or the family member of an EU national, or is settled in the UK.
  • It is mandatory for all EU nationals and their family members who wish to live and work in the UK after 30th June 2021.
  • The holder of Settled Status should not leave the UK for more than 2 years after obtaining it. It is planned to have this period be extended to 5 years, but this is yet to be approved.
  • The validity of Settled Status is NOT retroactive, i.e. an applicant cannot usually apply for British nationality straight after receiving Settled Status (unless they are the holder of PR separately, they have to wait for a year after the status has been confirmed).
For EU nationals
  • Application can be done via the Android app.
  • It consists of an electronic status, verifiable online. No physical document is issued.
  • It is free.
  • Turnaround time from application to status confirmation: using Android App, around 48 hours; otherwise, around 2 weeks.
For non-EU family members of EU-nationals
  • If applicant already has a biometric card issued under the EEA route (RC) or (PR)
    • Application can be done via the Android app.
    • It consists of an electronic status, verifiable online. No physical document is issued.
    • Applicant can continue to use their existing EEA RC for travel and other purposes until its expiration day of 31st December 2020.
    • Since EEA RCs expire in Dec 2020, it is expected these will get replaced with Settlement Scheme biometric cards, although it is unclear how this process will work out (automatic issue vs. application based).
    • No biometric entrollment is needed.
    • It is free.
    • Turnaround time from application to status confirmation: using Android App, around 48 hours; otherwise, around 2 weeks in most cases*.
  • If applicant does not already have a biometric card issued under the EEA route (RC) or (PR)
    • Application is done Online+post.
    • It consists of a biometric card similar to to the RC.
    • Because these biometric cards are issued outside of EU regulations, they do NOT allow visa-free travel to EU countries, regardless of whether the holder travels with their EU family member or not.
    • Biometric enrollment is needed, for which an appointment is necessary. Cost of appointment varies from free to up to £200, depending on location and date.
    • It is free, but mind the potential cost of biometric appointment.
    • Turnaround time from application to status confirmation: around 2 weeks in most cases*.

*However, If the applicant falls in the unfortunate category of people having spent more than 5 years in the UK but less than 5 years as the family member of a EU national (e.g. because of time spent in other visa categories, like the Tier system), a decision will take its time to come (between 2 and 4 months to even hear from case worker).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.