ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Just obtained citizenship. What next?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mercuree
Mood:
South Africa

Just obtained citizenship. What next?

Post by mercuree » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:48 am

Hi All,

So I have my certificate of naturalization and am busy applying for my first UK passport.

I plan to move over around April this year and am looking into all the other things that may need to be done. I would like to get as much done, in advance, as possible. So far I have:
  • Register for NI no. (need to wait for my passport)
  • Exchange driving license (can only be done once I have arrived as I need my license before emigrating)
  • Open bank account (Looking into Monzo for this one. I can do it so long and just have the card delivered to my Dad's.)
Is there anything else that you can suggest that I get out of the way now, so that I can hit the ground running? Would I need to register for NHS? I see I can only do this by visiting a GP or such?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Just obtained citizenship. What next?

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:51 am

You can only apply for an NI number once you are IN the UK.

Yes, you need to register with a GP/NHS in the area you will live in. You will need proof of residence and your passport.

You will also need a passport to open a bank account. A bank account is not difficult to open.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mercuree
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mercuree » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:14 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:51 am
You can only apply for an NI number once you are IN the UK.

Yes, you need to register with a GP/NHS in the area you will live in. You will need proof of residence and your passport.

You will also need a passport to open a bank account. A bank account is not difficult to open.
Thank you CR001. Your feedback is always appreciated!

foxreymann
Newly Registered

Post by foxreymann » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:04 am

Do you have a place to stay? This is the most important. If you're coming to London get ready for a huge expense.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 pm

and ever though you are British, you will not get help from the government until you have spent 3 months passing your habitual test period.and you will not have access to things like Student loan until you have spent 3years. so, brace yourself, British passport does not solve all problem
and London is pretty expensive like foxreymann has said.
congrats

mercuree
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mercuree » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 am

keji wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 pm
and ever though you are British, you will not get help from the government until you have spent 3 months passing your habitual test period.and you will not have access to things like Student loan until you have spent 3years. so, brace yourself, British passport does not solve all problem
and London is pretty expensive like foxreymann has said.
congrats
This is interesting news! I do have family that I will stay with initially, and hope to have some savings coming in. So my first priority will be to get work, second somewhere to stay.