ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling to Netherlands by train on a spouse of a british citizen schengen visa without spouse

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Tanit
Newly Registered

Traveling to Netherlands by train on a spouse of a british citizen schengen visa without spouse

Post by Tanit » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:25 am

Hello,

I booked a five day holiday to Amsterdam with my husband (British citizen) months ago, and we're travelling there by train from London where we live. I have applied for the Schengen visa as a spouse of a British citizen; to my surprise, I was granted a 4-year visa with multiple entries up to 90-day stay.

The problem is my husband has an infection on his foot, today he woke up and it was much worse and the out of hours GP doctor has advised him against travelling. We are supposed to be travelling on Thursday 27th and have spent a lot of money on this holiday, and everything is non-refundable. We are hoping he gets better by some miracle, but if he doesn't, I might go by myself as this is the second time we pay for a holiday to Amsterdam and not go and lose the money because of circumstances.

My question is, will I be denied entry at the immigration control?

My visa doesn't say "spouse of an EU citizen", but it does have codes in the remarks.

Can anyone offer any insight, please?

Thank you in advance.

ibwe
Mood:
Bulgaria

Re: Traveling to Netherlands by train on a spouse of a british citizen schengen visa without spouse

Post by ibwe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:09 am

Hi,
As per requirements, when you apply for a Schengen visa as a family member you, technically, need some sort of proof that you are traveling with your spouse, or you are going to join them. However, sometimes it just happens that these two conditions are hard to be met, especially when you already have the visa.
Border officers rarely ask a non-EU/EEA family member (holding a specific visa) a lot of questions, beside making sure that you are not a threat to security and that your visa is valid - these are just done quietly through their database. I am yet to hear a story of someone being refused entry because they were not accompanying or joining their spouses /family members. They may be cases but my guess is something else was suspected.
I have traveled many times to join my spouse as well as accompanying her and for family occasions when she wasn't accompanying me or even joining her. I have had no questions thrown my way that had any implication of being refused entry.
Still you are supposed to somehow show some proof (if they ask) of 'joining your spouse' - just add your spouse name in your hotel booking. You are a spouse of an EU/EEA national after all.