ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-entry into the UK after Tier 5 YMS visa has expired (but I have not been in the UK for the last 6 months of my visa)

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Juliefox
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re-entry into the UK after Tier 5 YMS visa has expired (but I have not been in the UK for the last 6 months of my visa)

Post by Juliefox » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi there... I don't know if anyone can help me!!

I am from New Zealand and currently hold a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Work Visa for the UK which started on the 1st of September 2017 and expires on 1st of September 2019.

I am currently not in the UK and havent been since the 7th February 2019. I don't plan on coming back to the UK before my work visa expires.

I am however wanting to come back to the UK in November/December 2019 for a couple of weeks when I will then return to New Zealand to live.

By the time I return to the UK in Nov/Dec 2019 I will have been out of the UK for over 6 months and I assume this is the time frame in which I need to wait to re-enter as a tourist. Or do I still have to wait 6 months from after my Tier 5 YMS visa expires even if I havent been in the UK?

Could anyone please let me know if I am correct and if I can return to the UK as a tourist in this time frame.

Many thanks in advance!!

Julie :)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Re-entry into the UK after Tier 5 YMS visa has expired (but I have not been in the UK for the last 6 months of my vi

Post by sah10406 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:33 pm

Juliefox wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:05 pm
By the time I return to the UK in Nov/Dec 2019 I will have been out of the UK for over 6 months and I assume this is the time frame in which I need to wait to re-enter as a tourist. Or do I still have to wait 6 months from after my Tier 5 YMS visa expires even if I havent been in the UK?
You can enter as the UK as a Standard Visitor whenever you wish. Where are you reading that you must stay away from the UK for 6 months?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Juliefox
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re: Re-entry into the UK after Tier 5 YMS visa has expired (but I have not been in the UK for the last 6 months of my vi

Post by Juliefox » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi thanks for your response

I read on the immigration website that it was a condition for New Zealanders whose visa has just expired that they cannot re enter the uk until after 6 months has passed.. I am guessing this is to prove that you wont extend your stay and want to live in the UK.

But because I have only been in the UK for 1.5yrs of my Visa and not been there now for 6 months .. I am assuming I can enter as a tourist now.

I just don't want to get to the border and have them deny me saying that my visa has just expired and i cant re enter..

I am still a bit confused..!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Juliefox wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:43 pm
I read on the immigration website that it was a condition for New Zealanders whose visa has just expired that they cannot re enter the uk until after 6 months has passed..
You mean on the UKVI website? Can you post a link? Because I do think you must have misread or misunderstood.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Juliefox
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Juliefox » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:19 am

Hi again

I've been through so many websites and search engines I cant remember where I saw it (I'll try find the link to post) but it comes up every time I search.

I really just need to know if I can re-enter the UK as a tourist after my tier 5 YMS visa has expired. I didn't think it was allowed.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am

Juliefox wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:19 am
I really just need to know if I can re-enter the UK as a tourist after my tier 5 YMS visa has expired. I didn't think it was allowed.
It is. See my first reply above, and https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/eligibility > Eligibility.

Juliefox
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Juliefox » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:59 pm

Ohh thank you so much for this information..
I think I have read so many other websites and peoples experiences that I got myself so confused.

Thank you again, you have been a huge help!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Juliefox wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:59 pm
Thank you again, you have been a huge help!
You're welcome. You will be using the eGates for entry anyway, but of course you must still be confident that you meet the eligiblity to be a Standard Visitor and I guess there is a small chance you may need to demonstrate it to a BFO, but very small.

Someone who finished their 2 years under Tier 5 YMS, then left for a day then came back again just wanting to continue their life in the UK for another 6 months, but using the visitor route, would probably not be a genuine visitor. That is clearly not your situation.