ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Withdraw/Cancel naturalisation application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PWong
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Withdraw/Cancel naturalisation application?

Post by PWong » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi all

Immigrationboards advisors have been very helpful in guiding on my journey from spouse visa to ILR and naturalisation applications. However with current situation I'm in I couldn't find much information in the forum and hopefully someone can help.

I had submitted my naturalisation application for British citizenship and Biometric / document appointment on Aug 5, but only find out afterwards some problems. I hold currently hold BNO passport and I'm also a naturalised Thai.

If my application is a success, I may lose my Thai citizenship so I was wondering if anyone can shed some light whether I can withdraw my Naturalisation application now?

If I can, would it affect my current ILR which still have around 9yrs validity to it? And would I be able to reapply for BC citizenship years later?

I just need to get things in Thailand sorted out first before losing my Thai citizenship as my mom and sisters are dependent on me.

Thanks

trueblue19

Re: Withdraw/Cancel naturalisation application?

Post by trueblue19 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Thailand allows dual citizenship in most cases. Do you not qualify for dual citizenship per Thai laws?

PWong
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by PWong » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:01 pm

hi trueblue19 I think dual is ok for Thai born but not naturalised Thai

any idea if I can withdraw my application without losing my current ILR?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:19 pm

PWong wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:01 pm
Yes, you can.

You lose your ILR if you get British citizenship OR if you are absent from the UK for long periods (about two years).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

PWong
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by PWong » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:34 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:19 pm
PWong wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:01 pm
Yes, you can.

You lose your ILR if you get British citizenship OR if you are absent from the UK for long periods (about two years).
Thank you secret.simon. So I won't lose my ILR. Would this cause any issue if when i'm more ready to apply for naturalisation again?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:49 pm

PWong wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:34 pm
Would this cause any issue if when i'm more ready to apply for naturalisation again?
No.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

PWong
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by PWong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:49 pm
PWong wrote:
Would this cause any issue if when i'm more ready to apply for naturalisation again?
No.
Thank you secret.simon. One last question: any idea how I can contact HO to apply for withdrawal?

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am

PWong wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 am
secret.simon wrote:
PWong wrote:
No.
Thank you secret.simon. One last question: any idea how I can contact HO to apply for withdrawal?
Contact link
https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk

Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk
nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk

PWong
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by PWong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:35 am

apsk wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am
PWong wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 am
secret.simon wrote:
PWong wrote:
No.
Contact link
https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk

Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk
nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk
Thank you so much @apsk

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:17 pm

If by any change you get an approval for citizenship before your withdrawal request is processed, just don't go to the ceremony.

Your are British once you go to the ceremony not when you receive the letter.

PWong
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by PWong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:17 pm
If by any change you get an approval for citizenship before your withdrawal request is processed, just don't go to the ceremony.

Your are British once you go to the ceremony not when you receive the letter.
Thanks Zerubbabel. I'm still doing some more research on whether I would lose my Thai or not, but it's good to know I have an option and I still have some time to decide.

PWong
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by PWong » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm

Was wondering if I should decide to take the chances of loosing my Thai, and if I attend the BC ceremony, would I be able to apply for Certificate of Entitlement on my HK BNO passport?

I read the eligibility of COE and it seems I may be eligible as although HK BNO is a type of British passport, I don't have the right of abode in UK? Or would HMPO tell me I can't and must apply for BC and possibly withhold my passport?

I think if I can apply for CEO then maybe at least I can still travel on my BNO and allow back into UK without immigration restrictions, while sorting out my Thai passport in case I don't get revoke.

any thoughts?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm

PWong wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm
Was wondering if I should decide to take the chances of loosing my Thai, and if I attend the BC ceremony, would I be able to apply for Certificate of Entitlement on my HK BNO passport?
Yes.

Of course, remember that you will not get all the visa-free travel benefits of a British passport if you go in for a CoE-RoA.

On the other hand, apparently, if you apply for a British passport, you will lose your right to a BNO passport. Your British passport will include observations on your right to reside in Hong Kong and your BNO status.

Also see BNO (Rights and privileges) on Wikipedia.

PWong
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by PWong » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:41 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm
PWong wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm
Yes.

Of course, remember that you will not get all the visa-free travel benefits of a British passport if you go in for a CoE-RoA.

On the other hand, apparently, if you apply for a British passport, you will lose your right to a BNO passport. Your British passport will include observations on your right to reside in Hong Kong and your BNO status.

Also see BNO (Rights and privileges) on Wikipedia.
Thank you so much secret.simon :D Truly appreciate all your replies and guidance. More research on COE next

PWong
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by PWong » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Hello again everyone,

2 months of gone by and I have been approved. Very happy but also still heavy hearted given the circumstance.

I have yet to confirm my naturalisation attendance in November with my local council and I believe I can possibly work to change my name in Thai passport to align with my current BNO name. However it takes time.

I highly considering applying for the ROA stamp on my current passport so can get me some time to sort out my Thai passport issue. But very concern with the time it takes to get the ROA on my passport (from reading others saying takes 2 months or more) as I have many upcoming trips and all flight/hotel expenses have been paid for.

My question here is : If I submit my ROA application together with my BNO passport but do not get it back in time for my upcoming trip. Can I still leave the country and possibly apply for emergency passport with British consulate overseas for my return?

Thanks