ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

public funds

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Cro1
Newly Registered

public funds

Post by Cro1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:41 pm

I am family member of a EEAnational,my children have danish passports(like thier dad).I havent worked for all the time i have been here(on my new visa,did before but as an aupair).i am experiencing domestic abuse and want to leave to a refuge.I was told that i dont have access to public fund,therefor not entitled to a refuge or any benefits.Please if someone thinks thats not the case or knows a solution,let me know!Please :(

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:05 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What is you new visa?

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi i don't know much about this but this link may help. http://www.londonelegance.com/transpond ... ence.shtml

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:52 pm

How long have you been married and how long have you resided in the UK since the marriage?

It needs to be said that your safety comes first; everything else is secondary. If you are in an abusive situation, leave. Have you gone to the police yet? There are domestic violence hostels that will take people regardless of nationality or visa status. A friend of mine works for one in Belfast and they've had people come in from all corners of the globe. Try getting in contact with any of the DV or women's organizations.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/fam ... olence.htm

The above link has a list of organizations with their website addresses and phone numbers.

John

Post by John » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:00 am

I was told that i dont have access to public fund,therefor not entitled to a refuge or any benefits.
Who told you that?

Surely there are already benefit claims in place? Child Benefit? Tax Credits?
John

Cro1
Newly Registered

Post by Cro1 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi to everyone and thank you for responding and trying to help!lesley15,your link really helped me!it gave me the answer that i wanted and needed!it looks like,although i have limited visa,in my circumstances it would change to right to remain(which means i hwould have a right to benefits).so thank you,wish me luck!

John

Post by John » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Again, who has told you that you don't have a right to benefits now?

The fact is that you do. Child Benefit? Who is claiming that? You or your husband?

And Tax Credits? The claim for that should be in joint names, in respect of a couple living together, so can you confirm that you are indeed claiming Tax Credits jointly with your husband?
John