ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent employee and ltd director

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

blastoff
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

Permanent employee and ltd director

Post by blastoff » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:58 am

Hi there,

I've been a permanent employee for most of my life in the UK (from 2012), with a small parenthesis as director of my ltd, which I then striked off since I've been offered a permanent position again. The company life in total was around a year, until August 2019, but officially trading (invoicing) for only 3 months (May/Aug 2018), the rest of the time I just kept it open just in case, and then striked off.

I am now applying for naturalisation, do I need to list my self as director for the above-mentioned period (3 months or year)? Do I need to provide my tax return as well?

Thank you for your help.

blastoff
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

Re: Permanent employee and ltd director

Post by blastoff » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 pm

No one had a similar issue? :cry:

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 pm

blastoff wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:58 am
Hi there,

I've been a permanent employee for most of my life in the UK (from 2012), with a small parenthesis as director of my ltd, which I then striked off since I've been offered a permanent position again. The company life in total was around a year, until August 2019, but officially trading (invoicing) for only 3 months (May/Aug 2018), the rest of the time I just kept it open just in case, and then striked off.

I am now applying for naturalisation, do I need to list my self as director for the above-mentioned period (3 months or year)? Do I need to provide my tax return as well?

Thank you for your help.
Did you pay your taxes during the time you were a director (self assessment or any other form)? ideally, your employement history should match your HMRC record
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

blastoff
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

Post by blastoff » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:33 pm

Yes, I have my self assessment tax return documents which I could provide as part my application. But I don't understand if I should list being a director of my ltd company in my employment history (which contains all my other permanent roles, some of which overlaps with the company director role), and if I should also attach my self assessment tax return documents in the application.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:49 pm

blastoff wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:33 pm
Yes, I have my self assessment tax return documents which I could provide as part my application. But I don't understand if I should list being a director of my ltd company in my employment history (which contains all my other permanent roles, some of which overlaps with the company director role), and if I should also attach my self assessment tax return documents in the application.
The overlap shouldn't be a problem as long as your self assessment matches the dates . Again remember that having a job is not a requirement for naturalisation. However, failure to pay taxes could make one fail the Good Character. So, the overlap shouldn't be an issue as long as your tax records are documented correctly during the time when you were a director.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

blastoff
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

Post by blastoff » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:38 pm

Thanks for your answers. I paid all the taxes listed in my self assessment, but I have delegated the compilation of this to my accountant. Now, I would like to avoid the case where he did a mistake on compiling it, and fail my naturalisation process because of this.

As having a job is not a requirement for naturalisation, would it be ok to not list my ltd director period in my application, or I would be lying?

Thanks again for your help.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:47 pm

As having a job is not a requirement for naturalisation, would it be ok to not list my ltd director period in my application, or I would be lying?
The requirement is to list all your employment(s) for the period covered - UKVI are unlikely to re-calculate your tax workings - stating you were a director would not count against you.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

blastoff
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

Post by blastoff » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:01 am

Thanks. I'll state I have been a director and attach my self assessment documents too then.