ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mrbojangles

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by mrbojangles » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:25 pm

Sulla wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:49 am
mrbojangles wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:56 pm
Hi all,

I have a maternal Irish-born grandmother. I think I now have all the documents I need to apply, but my UK-born mother does not have a passport, driving licence, or any other state-issued ID document. Should that matter? (I have her birth certificate of course.)
Yes, it matters. The best course of action is for your mother to get a form of ID issued before you apply.

If you cannot get this, then you need to contact the FBR department directly and explain your situation. They may give permission for you to apply using proof of address from a GP for your mother. Alternatively, they may accept other photo ID like a bus pass. However, this is very much on a case by case basis and requires prior permission.
Thanks Sulla, that's very helpful. I spoke to them this afternoon and your advice is correct. It's a slightly annoying requirement because I can't see what photo ID actually proves, that isn't already proved by the other documents, other than what she looks like! Out of curiosity does anyone know?

Anyway, I think it may finally scupper my attempts at getting nationality, because she's very frail, and I'll have trouble getting her to cooperate anyway.

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi all,

Just got the last piece of documentation I need for my FBR application (from US). I have 2 questions - first what size/format to the photos need to be? Are US passport photos acceptable or do they need to be bhe larger European size? And second, is there a preferred carrier (UPS/FedEx/DHL) to send the documents to Dublin once the application is complete?

Also, are the original documents returned to the applicant once the process is completed or not?
Thanks!
Trish

Rbs3
Newly Registered

Post by Rbs3 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:35 pm

mrbojangles wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:25 pm
Sulla wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:49 am
mrbojangles wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:56 pm
Hi all,

I have a maternal Irish-born grandmother. I think I now have all the documents I need to apply, but my UK-born mother does not have a passport, driving licence, or any other state-issued ID document. Should that matter? (I have her birth certificate of course.)
Yes, it matters. The best course of action is for your mother to get a form of ID issued before you apply.

If you cannot get this, then you need to contact the FBR department directly and explain your situation. They may give permission for you to apply using proof of address from a GP for your mother. Alternatively, they may accept other photo ID like a bus pass. However, this is very much on a case by case basis and requires prior permission.
Thanks Sulla, that's very helpful. I spoke to them this afternoon and your advice is correct. It's a slightly annoying requirement because I can't see what photo ID actually proves, that isn't already proved by the other documents, other than what she looks like! Out of curiosity does anyone know?

Anyway, I think it may finally scupper my attempts at getting nationality, because she's very frail, and I'll have trouble getting her to cooperate anyway.
My best guess is that photo ID is not available on a public register, so obtaining it shows the person really is known to you. Otherwise it would be open to people who are not of Irish descent to browse public registers and fraudulently claim a line of descent that isn’t theirs, but where the names match or approximately match. I suspect a secondary reason is that if a public body is happy to issue a passport or driving licence in their name, then the FBR team benefit from those anti-fraud checks too?? I am only guessing though.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:53 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:21 pm
Hi all,

Just got the last piece of documentation I need for my FBR application (from US). I have 2 questions - first what size/format to the photos need to be? Are US passport photos acceptable or do they need to be bhe larger European size? And second, is there a preferred carrier (UPS/FedEx/DHL) to send the documents to Dublin once the application is complete?

Also, are the original documents returned to the applicant once the process is completed or not?
Thanks!
Trish
As I have it -Photos should be minimum size 35mm x 45mm & maximum size 38mm x 50mm which are smaller than USA 2 inch x 2 inch photo size. Don't use USA size. Rules have tightened up.
Any carrier is fine. Don't spend a fortune to get it there a few days early since the process takes almost a year. Just make sure you have a tracking number. You can even just send USPS but get a tracking number.
Original documents(certificates etc) are returned when done. Make a copy of everything before you ship it too.
Good Luck
JGClancy

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:22 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:06 pm
MKCG wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:43 pm
MKCG wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:14 pm
My mum got a msg on her passport tracker saying there ls an issue with her photo.

Can’t think what it could be, she got it taken by an Irish passport approved photo shop in Glasgow, Jessops. Jessops said it passed on the online Irish passport checker when she bought them, I assume they submit & check before they give you/sell you the photos

Anyone else had an issue with this.
I’ve not heard from my mum yet as to what the email says, as she’s on a cruise. (She told me to check the tracker for her while she’s away)
Edit

She’s sent me the email.
It says her head isn’t centred in the photo/her head can’t touch the sides or the top of photo.
It’s not a big deal to resubmit, but more annoying as she went the approved shop and they said it passed the relevant checks. It’s an online application & photo.
Very Puzzling
Oh that is SO annoying. That's the same shop I got my photos taken in and while I haaaaaate the photo itself they seemed pretty knowledgeable about the requirements. Hopefully at the very least they refund the money and don't charge for the new one!
Update on this

My mum went to jessops in Glasgow again, to get her photo re-taken. Free of charge.
But, we resubmitted tonight and low & behold, they have failed again. To be fair the colour in the background had a green tinge to it.

We ended up taking photos on our mobile phones & eventually got one to pass the webpage screening.
For anyone else considering it, I don’t think going to jessops is really worth the money. They pretty much have the monopoly in the Glasgow area being the approved provider but evidently they don’t have the reqd skills to produce the correct photograph.

What’s even more worrying is I got my photos taken in the same shop on the same day for my FBR application and now I’ve seen what got rejected, I can’t see mines passing the checks

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:45 am

MKCG wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:22 pm
DanaMarie wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:06 pm
MKCG wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:43 pm
MKCG wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:14 pm
My mum got a msg on her passport tracker saying there ls an issue with her photo.

Can’t think what it could be, she got it taken by an Irish passport approved photo shop in Glasgow, Jessops. Jessops said it passed on the online Irish passport checker when she bought them, I assume they submit & check before they give you/sell you the photos

Anyone else had an issue with this.
I’ve not heard from my mum yet as to what the email says, as she’s on a cruise. (She told me to check the tracker for her while she’s away)
Edit

She’s sent me the email.
It says her head isn’t centred in the photo/her head can’t touch the sides or the top of photo.
It’s not a big deal to resubmit, but more annoying as she went the approved shop and they said it passed the relevant checks. It’s an online application & photo.
Very Puzzling
Oh that is SO annoying. That's the same shop I got my photos taken in and while I haaaaaate the photo itself they seemed pretty knowledgeable about the requirements. Hopefully at the very least they refund the money and don't charge for the new one!
Update on this

My mum went to jessops in Glasgow again, to get her photo re-taken. Free of charge.
But, we resubmitted tonight and low & behold, they have failed again. To be fair the colour in the background had a green tinge to it.

We ended up taking photos on our mobile phones & eventually got one to pass the webpage screening.
For anyone else considering it, I don’t think going to jessops is really worth the money. They pretty much have the monopoly in the Glasgow area being the approved provider but evidently they don’t have the reqd skills to produce the correct photograph.

What’s even more worrying is I got my photos taken in the same shop on the same day for my FBR application and now I’ve seen what got rejected, I can’t see mines passing the checks
Her tracker now says printing passport.
Must have be approved this morning. Yay

Looking fwd to applying for my fbr when her docs are returned now

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:52 am

When you do finally receive the FBR certificate and subsequently apply for a passport.

Do u need to send them all the birth, marriege and death certs again for the passport or does the FBR cert cover that aspect of the eligibility checks at that stage ?

jmf123
Newly Registered

Post by jmf123 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:44 pm

I've been following this thread tracking dates. So, I had some good news today. The dates for me were:-

FBR paperwork sent 21/3/2109
FBR email confirmation for paperwork received 29/03/2019
FBR email confirming address for document return 26/2/2020

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 am

MKCG wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:52 am
When you do finally receive the FBR certificate and subsequently apply for a passport.

Do u need to send them all the birth, marriege and death certs again for the passport or does the FBR cert cover that aspect of the eligibility checks at that stage ?
I am based in Bristol and I have always used a photo booth for all my visas and passport photos and never had any issues with them , you can get your photos done for the Irish passport too now in boots and other retailers plus I have had my US student visa photo taken on the same one .

Passport application
Firstly 1 x digital photo
Certificates for passport as follows - Birth Certificate , FBR Cert , proof of name and proof of address via (Utility bill) (Bank Statement) and 3 x forms from the passport application

LA8887

Post by LA8887 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:12 pm

Lee2521 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 am
I am based in Bristol and I have always used a photo booth for all my visas and passport photos and never had any issues with them , you can get your photos done for the Irish passport too now in boots and other retailers plus I have had my US student visa photo taken on the same one .

Passport application
Certificates for passport as follows - Birth Certificate , FBR Cert , proof of name and proof of address via (Utility bill) (Bank Statement) and 3 x forms from the passport application
I thought you also needed to send some photo ID like original driving licence or passport, or a certified copy of them? Or have they relaxed that now?

Kernzy
Newly Registered

Post by Kernzy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Kernzy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:03 am
Got the email to confirm my address today. :D

Application received: March 26th 2019
Application approved email today so looks like things are getting quicker again

Jordann26
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Jordann26 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:15 pm

That's great to hear! When did you apply?

Jordann26
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Jordann26 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:17 pm

Kernzy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:14 pm
Kernzy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:03 am
Got the email to confirm my address today. :D

Application received: March 26th 2019
Application approved email today so looks like things are getting quicker again
That's great to hear! When did you apply?

IrishNJUSAMan
United States of America

Post by IrishNJUSAMan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Kmui wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:02 am
Mariecws wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:46 am
Kmui wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:45 am
Mariecws wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:33 pm
Finally! Notification my application will be approved and request to confirm address received today. Docs received in Dublin 25 March 2019. Good luck everyone!
Congrats, I'm still waiting patiently for a certificate, when I called they did say 5-6 week printing delay. I'm about halfway at nearly 3 weeks.
Hope you get sorted soon! I’m not really in any rush for the certificate itself so won’t hold my breath
Recieved confirmation email this morning, certificate is printed and in the post. Not as long a wait as expected.... passport next
Does the address verification email and the congratulatory your approved email come from the same email address? Please let me know email address and the Subject topic used in each. I just want to be aware and be on the look out so I respond immediately. Today is 9 months since they verified receipt of my application and all documents (that email was recd May 27, 2019) in the Ireland FRB processing unit. Do we know if they have improved processing time due to staff hiring, centralized concept, new system and standardized processes? I tried calling the contact # twice however the call disconnected both times after selecting option 2 for English. I am hoping to hear good news soon !!!

Londonharp
Newly Registered

Post by Londonharp » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi guys,

Finally I got my reply today!!!!

My details:
Application sent: 27/02/2019
Recieved in Dublin: 28/03/2019
Address Confirmation: 27/02/2020

I'll update when I get my certificate confirmation!

I am nearly Irish!! I can't wait!

Regards
LH

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:54 pm

IrishNJUSAMan wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 pm
Do we know if they have improved processing time due to staff hiring, centralized concept, new system and standardized processes?
I don't think there is any improvement in processing time. Kmui's comment about it being quicker than expected only referred to the time between being notified his/her application had been accepted and notification that the certificate was being printed. The application has taken 11 months and no certificate as yet. The most recent report is of at least 12 months with no certificate. If I were you, I'd hold fire for at least 2 months before chasing DFA:
Londonharp wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:39 pm

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:28 pm

[/quote]

.... Do we know if they have improved processing time due to staff hiring, centralized concept, new system and standardized processes? I tried calling the contact # twice however the call disconnected both times after selecting option 2 for English. I am hoping to hear good news soon !!!
[/quote]

It had sped up a tad but the glut of March 2019 applications seems to have slowed it. Right now I estimate approx. 11 months from application received date until address confirmation e mail -if all goes well.
I'm late June 2019 application and hope I get notified by June 1 at this point. Patience.....

JGClancy

_CATG_
Newly Registered

Post by _CATG_ » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:51 pm

Speculation here but was there potentially a huge increase in applicants in March 2019 fuelled by speculation we were heading for a crash out hard no deal brexit? I noticed it had sped up and then slowed down again as they were processing applicants who'd submitted from March 21st.

I'm an early July applicant, hoping to get address confirmation in June and my passport done by the time I go on holiday in August.

MrTucker
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by MrTucker » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:04 pm

Getting in on this thread! I also submitted my application early in June of 2019; eagerly awaiting an approval. I am really hoping to get all this sorted out in order to emigrate with my family before the end of the year. My brother completed this process many years ago and it only took a few months, Brexit has certainly had an effect.

I'm glad I found this thread and that people are working together to track the status of their applications :lol:

kwong22
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kwong22 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Glad I found this thread!

Mailed my FBR Oct 21 2019 and got the received notification from Dublin on Nov 5 2019. Feeling better now knowing there are many others playing the waiting game. Unfortunately sounds like it'll take the 12 months to get though :(

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:04 pm

Lee2521 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 am
MKCG wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:52 am

Passport application
Thanks

tom_bcfc
Newly Registered

Post by tom_bcfc » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi all. Some good news here... my passport came through 10 days earlier than expected. So here's my completed timetable for all those still waiting.

06/03/19 application submitted
12/03/19 application received in balbriggan
30/12/19 confirmation of address email
31/12/19 added onto foriegn birth register
29/01/20 congratulations email
04/02/20 recieved certificate
04/02/20 applied for passport via post
10/02/20 passport form and docs recieved in cork
28/02/20 passport recieved

So 3 weeks and 3 days for passport.. my girlfriend used the passport Express service from liverpool which was only 2 days quicker so wouldn't really bother with it as it's more of a check and send service really.

Would like to thank you all for your advise and input along the way, and thanks to sulla for updating the timelines, has been a godsend. Good luck to everyone with there applications.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Londonharp wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:39 pm
Hi guys,

Finally I got my reply today!!!!

My details:

I'll update when I get my certificate confirmation!

I am nearly Irish!! I can't wait!

Regards
LH
congrats----yep,about 11 months is my estimate these days

seanhodges
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by seanhodges » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 pm

11 days of ‘processing’ on my passport application and they emailed today to tell me they have rejected the photo I sent (exactly the same one that they accepted for the FBR certificate :roll: ).
Still, their country, their rules (my country now :) )

I’ll use the photo resubmission link. Is it a digital upload or do I have to get new prints, have them witnessed and post them? :(

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:33 pm

seanhodges wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 pm
11 days of ‘processing’ on my passport application and they emailed today to tell me they have rejected the photo I sent (exactly the same one that they accepted for the FBR certificate :roll: ).
Still, their country, their rules (my country now :) )

I’ll use the photo resubmission link. Is it a digital upload or do I have to get new prints, have them witnessed and post them? :(
My mum had this issue just this week
She got them done by the local approved shop, git rejected, got the same shop to redo them for the resubmittion, they got rejected again. Ended up doing it on an idiot-phone & Passed.

Didn’t have to get them re-signed etc