ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need a Visa to visit in-laws?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Shaylin2005
Newly Registered
United States of America

Do I need a Visa to visit in-laws?

Post by Shaylin2005 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 pm

I am an american citizen, married to a UK citizen, and we are both living in america together. We want to visit the UK to visit his family in August. We are planning a one week trip. I know typically you don't need to apply for a visa to visit the UK for tourism. However, since I am married to a UK citizen, I have read that I can apply for a "Standard Visa" in order to visit. Is this necessary though?

We are only coming for a week, and I don't want to go through the whole visa process for such a short period of time if it's not necessary. However, I don't want to book our tickets only to have them turn me around at the border.

I have tried calling the UK immigration helpline, but they refuse to answer case specific questions. Their website has a "Do I need a visa?' checklist, however it doesn't have an option for visiting families. I cannot seem to find a definite answer anywhere!

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Re: Do I need a Visa to visit in-laws?

Post by THO » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:42 pm

Why would the fact you are married to a UK citizen make any difference? If a US citizen can travel to the UK visa free, (as a UK citizen I only need to apply online for an ESTA, which is about $15 or so and take 5 mins to do) then you don't need one.

When I go to places and I am not sure, I google and then the relevant .gov.uk tells me if there are any travel restrictions. Must be the same US equivalent?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Do I need a Visa to visit in-laws?

Post by ALKB » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Shaylin2005 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 pm
I am an american citizen, married to a UK citizen, and we are both living in america together. We want to visit the UK to visit his family in August. We are planning a one week trip. I know typically you don't need to apply for a visa to visit the UK for tourism. However, since I am married to a UK citizen, I have read that I can apply for a "Standard Visa" in order to visit. Is this necessary though?

We are only coming for a week, and I don't want to go through the whole visa process for such a short period of time if it's not necessary. However, I don't want to book our tickets only to have them turn me around at the border.

I have tried calling the UK immigration helpline, but they refuse to answer case specific questions. Their website has a "Do I need a visa?' checklist, however it doesn't have an option for visiting families. I cannot seem to find a definite answer anywhere!
US citizens can get their visa at the border (the stamp in your passport is your visa). Only if you have adverse UK immigration history, such as having been refused entry previously or a refused settlement application, previous overstay, etc. you should obtain a visa before travelling.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.