ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for naturalisation while awaiting my BRP replacement card?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aiousfniuasnfioa
Newly Registered
Australia

Can I apply for naturalisation while awaiting my BRP replacement card?

Post by aiousfniuasnfioa » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi! Recently I entered the border, can't find my ILR BRP, told the IO I must have misplaced it, who then checked the system and let me in, got home and applied for a new one, reported it lost (4 weeks later but presumably not a big deal since it takes longer), then found it in a drawer.

This doesn't paint me as the most organised person, but that's how it is. Actually there's more:

After all this I realised that, having received an ILR as a spouse of a british citizen, I am eligible to apply for naturalisation immediately, when before I thought I had to wait a year, I am now hoping to apply for naturalisation soon.

Would I have to wait for the new replacement BRP to arrive, or can I just send in my ILR decision letter and my old cancelled BRP and write in explaining that I already have an active ILR, and am in the process of waiting for my BRP? I consider this because presumably the BRP is not actually necessary for the naturalisation, but my ILR status, and the BRP is just evidence of identity (I will be giving in my passport as well and other documents).

I only ask because it says an ILR BRP could take up to half a year, and I'd prefer to have it done sooner rather than later. Let's say I should wait for the replacement permit, will anything I had done present an issue for naturalisation? I did not get stamped as a visitor or anything and I last entered the border the IO checked my BRP status and presumably that's evidence that the system still has my ILR as active despite lost BRP right?

Thank you!

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Can I apply for naturalisation while awaiting my BRP replacement card?

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:36 pm

aiousfniuasnfioa wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:03 pm
Hi! Recently I entered the border, can't find my ILR BRP, told the IO I must have misplaced it, who then checked the system and let me in, got home and applied for a new one, reported it lost (4 weeks later but presumably not a big deal since it takes longer), then found it in a drawer.

This doesn't paint me as the most organised person, but that's how it is. Actually there's more:

After all this I realised that, having received an ILR as a spouse of a british citizen, I am eligible to apply for naturalisation immediately, when before I thought I had to wait a year, I am now hoping to apply for naturalisation soon.

Would I have to wait for the new replacement BRP to arrive, or can I just send in my ILR decision letter and my old cancelled BRP and write in explaining that I already have an active ILR, and am in the process of waiting for my BRP? I consider this because presumably the BRP is not actually necessary for the naturalisation, but my ILR status, and the BRP is just evidence of identity (I will be giving in my passport as well and other documents).

I only ask because it says an ILR BRP could take up to half a year, and I'd prefer to have it done sooner rather than later. Let's say I should wait for the replacement permit, will anything I had done present an issue for naturalisation? I did not get stamped as a visitor or anything and I last entered the border the IO checked my BRP status and presumably that's evidence that the system still has my ILR as active despite lost BRP right?

Thank you!
You need a valid BRP to apply for Naturalisation. Since your current BRP has been reported as lost and cancelled, I will advise you to wait for the new one. Letter of ILR is not proof of ILR. I believe it's even written in the letter. Your BRP is the proof and you need a valid one.
I guess if anyone has had a similar experience as yours here, they might drop comments
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

aiousfniuasnfioa
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by aiousfniuasnfioa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:32 pm

Thank you for your reply, I will wait.

On the topic of naturalisation, if I do not pay taxes (unemployed) do I still have to do self assessment? I assume not, but it merely writes that if you don't do PAYE you have to do self assessment without addressing unemployed applicants.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:38 pm

if I do not pay taxes (unemployed) do I still have to do self assessment?
No.
I assume not, but it merely writes that if you don't do PAYE you have to do self assessment without addressing unemployed applicants.
You simply state you are unemployed! Employment is not a requirement for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.