ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR... spousal question (relationship rocky)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

commutedaily
Newly Registered
Brazil

ILR... spousal question (relationship rocky)

Post by commutedaily » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:16 am

Hi

I've been living and working in the UK for 5 years next month - and would like to apply for ILR. My relationship with my sponsor hasn't been great the past 6 months although we are still together. Can I apply on the basis of being here 5 years, feeling there is a chance we may split up? We're married and still together/living together so it's not over. I'm very concerned about the life I've built here, we've had our ups and downs but this is a low point. Any help would be welcome :) If I get the ILR can that be taken away down the line if things don't work out?

Casa

Re: ILR... spousal question (relationship rocky)

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:34 am

Once you have been granted ILR you are no longer under Immigration control. This can't be removed if you separate or divorce after you have ILR.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

commutedaily
Newly Registered
Brazil

Re: ILR... spousal question (relationship rocky)

Post by commutedaily » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 am

So I can apply for a ILR despite my doubts? I just worry that some months down the line, if things don't work out it'll look strange. My head at the moment is getting the ILR sorted as I have built a career and a very supportive friendship group which I don't really have back home. As it stands I am in a subsisting relationship, so I can go forward with that as the part of the application? 5 years is a long time and feelings change (sadly :()