ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residence with Settled Status for British Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Activate
Newly Registered
United States of America

Permanent residence with Settled Status for British Naturalisation

Post by Activate » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi all,

I would like some advice on following situation.

Can we keep non-eu family Permanent residence status as well as non-eu family Settled Status both together? Or we lose one status after getting the other one?

Many thanks. :shock:

secret.simon

Re: Permanent residence with Settled Status for British Naturalisation

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:42 pm

You can keep both statuses concurrently for now, but

a) Permanent Residence, being a part of EU law, will expire with the end of the transition period (currently scheduled for 31st December 2020);
and
b) Settled Status, being a grant under UK immigration law, ceases when the holder becomes a British citizen (a British citizen can't be subject to UK immigration law).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Activate
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Activate » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I am planning to apply british naturalisation this month. I have permanent residence for more than 1.5 years, and I am aware that this status will expire on 31st December 2020. I do not have settled status yet, as I did not apply.

If I go ahead with british natuaralisation application on the basis of permanent residence, it can take upto 6 months on the decision on my application but by then I might lose permanent residence status, or perhaps my naturalisation application gets refused.

What will be wise to do, to apply the settled status now at the same time or after few weeks of of british naturalisation application?

Many thanks. :shock:

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:17 pm

You can apply for naturalisation on the basis of EU PR now as it's still valid at the time of your application - even if they approve you past 31 Dec 2020. Most applicants actually get approved so settled status is then irrelevant - however, if the worst comes to the worst, you have until June 2021 to apply for settled status.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Activate
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Activate » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:41 am

Thank you for your time and consideration. :)