ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non eu national mother in law

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

RAW88
Newly Registered
Austria

non eu national mother in law

Post by RAW88 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:11 am

Hi
my partner is eu national with settled status and i am non eu national with settled status. My non eu mother just got her pre settled status(euss) recently
my query is if i get divorce what will happen to my mother's status and is there any way she can apply for retained rights. Just to let u know we have not started any legal proceedings yet regarding divorce.
Please any legal expert who can share the thoughts or advice will be much appreciated

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: non eu national mother in law

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:31 am

Hello

Please read this page:

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/retain ... -residence

In this scenario, I don't how a retained right of residence may come to action.

Yourself as a spouse, may get retained rights after a divorce, but not your mother.

RAW88
Newly Registered
Austria

Post by RAW88 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 am

Hi zerubbabel,
Why would i need retain rights i already got settled status ?? :?: :?:

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:26 pm

RAW88 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 am
Hi zerubbabel,
Why would i need retain rights i already got settled status ?? :?: :?:
Obviously if you are settled, your immigration status doesn't depend on you being married or in relationship. So if you are to divorce, nothing would change for you immigration-wise.

But for your mother, if she comes under EEA relative umbrella, a divorce or an EEA national leaving the UK can have an impact.

justanotherchilli
Newly Registered
Mood:
New Zealand

Post by justanotherchilli » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:45 pm

RAW88 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:11 am
Hi
my partner is eu national with settled status and i am non eu national with settled status. My non eu mother just got her pre settled status(EU Settlement Scheme) recently
my query is if i get divorce what will happen to my mother's status and is there any way she can apply for retained rights. Just to let u know we have not started any legal proceedings yet regarding divorce.
Please any legal expert who can share the thoughts or advice will be much appreciated

@RAW88 apologies for hijacking your thread, but would you please share your experience of applying for pre-settled status for you non-eu mother with me? I would really appreciate a "heads-up" on the types of documentation to prepare etc. My thread is:

https://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-r ... 02781.html