ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Nationality - OCI change

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sksk123
Newly Registered
India

Dual Nationality - OCI change

Post by sksk123 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:06 pm

My Son (8 Years old) is a US citizen and got a OCI card for India as well. We have been living here in UK for the last 6 years and he got ILR last year and I have applied for UK Citizenship under "registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen" (My naturalization has been approved already and my wife is in ILR).

Few questions about OCI:

1. Once I get the UK passport, Should I change his OCI to have British nationality instead of USA using OCI Misc services since I am living in UK?
2. If I don't do it, will it be a problem when I travel to India? I understand that passport validity applies for the passport attached to the OCI.

Pls let me know.

xebec
Australia

Re: Dual Nationality - OCI change

Post by xebec » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Interesting scenario. The Indian government OCI scheme is silent on multiple citizenships. You would have to ask the High Commission for advice. Please post their response here for the benefit of the community.

sksk123
Newly Registered
India

Re: Dual Nationality - OCI change

Post by sksk123 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:58 pm

https://www.mha.gov.in/PDF_Other/3OCIca ... 112019.pdf
Based on the above document, it is fine to have OCI when a person holds more than one nationality. But I am not sure If i have to change the nationality. Has anyone gone thru this situation?