ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Suspicious Call

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

maxiao888
Newly Registered
China

Suspicious Call

Post by maxiao888 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:42 pm

My wife who is Chinese just registered for the first time by our local immigration officer yesterday; got stamp in passport and IRP card will be sent by post in 2-3 weeks.

This morning she received an automated call from a Dublin number. It was a robo/automatic voice and the message was in Mandarin Chinese. It said something like it was "from the Chinese embassy and this is the last chance to collect your residence permit. Choose 1 if you would like someone to deal with it". Sounded fishy so my wife hung up the phone. Obviously the Chinese embassy has noting to do with Irish immigration.

Has this happened to anyone else? Very suspicious to get this call the day after she was registered and details entered in the Garda system.

wec1979
Ireland

Re: Suspicious Call

Post by wec1979 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:00 pm

maxiao888 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:42 pm
My wife who is Chinese just registered for the first time by our local immigration officer yesterday; got stamp in passport and IRP card will be sent by post in 2-3 weeks.

This morning she received an automated call from a Dublin number. It was a robo/automatic voice and the message was in Mandarin Chinese. It said something like it was "from the Chinese embassy and this is the last chance to collect your residence permit. Choose 1 if you would like someone to deal with it". Sounded fishy so my wife hung up the phone. Obviously the Chinese embassy has noting to do with Irish immigration.

Has this happened to anyone else? Very suspicious to get this call the day after she was registered and details entered in the Garda system.
It's scammer. Do not take any further actions.

maxiao888
Newly Registered
China

Post by maxiao888 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:02 pm

Yeah, but how would they know she was issued an IRP the day after? It would indicate they have access to the Garda system which is very concerning...

wec1979
Ireland

Post by wec1979 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:25 pm

maxiao888 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:02 pm
Yeah, but how would they know she was issued an IRP the day after? It would indicate they have access to the Garda system which is very concerning...
I don't think they have access to the Garda system. In my opinion, that is a coincidence. The scammer make thousands of calls per day and say same thing, such as they said that they are from anpost or Embassy and so on.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Yeah my partner used to get a lot of these mandarin automated call scammers claiming they are from An Post, Chinese Embassy, UPS etc. She still gets them occasionally. They would tell you that you have something to be picked up as soon as possible, and you need to press a certain key to switch to an operator who speaks minimal Mandarin. We always try and make up all sorts of hilarious jokes on the call and they would eventually hang up.

A large number of Chinese people who got such calls last year. The Chinese Embassy issued a scam warning. Vast majority of them had registered with certain communities (mostly with colleges). Someone must have been able to obtain the registration list somehow.

Regarding the IRP timing, most students started to receive IRP in the past month or so, hence the reason.

maxiao888
Newly Registered
China

Post by maxiao888 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:44 am

littlerr wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:59 pm
Yeah my partner used to get a lot of these mandarin automated call scammers claiming they are from An Post, Chinese Embassy, UPS etc. She still gets them occasionally. They would tell you that you have something to be picked up as soon as possible, and you need to press a certain key to switch to an operator who speaks minimal Mandarin. We always try and make up all sorts of hilarious jokes on the call and they would eventually hang up.

A large number of Chinese people who got such calls last year. The Chinese Embassy issued a scam warning. Vast majority of them had registered with certain communities (mostly with colleges). Someone must have been able to obtain the registration list somehow.

Regarding the IRP timing, most students started to receive IRP in the past month or so, hence the reason.
I see. Don't think she has used her Irish mobile number to register in a lot of places apart from PPS number, GNIB/INIS and maybe an online store or two but they must have got her number some way.