ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Belgian visa as a British citizen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

claraluh

Belgian visa as a British citizen

Post by claraluh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:40 pm

Hello Everyone,

What would be the possible ways to get a resident visa in Belgium if you are a British Citizen?
I am about to finish my Modern Languages BA and would like to spend some time in Belgium, I thought we would still be able to register this year as residents but information seems a bit vague. Any ideias?

Many thanks!!

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Belgian visa as a British citizen

Post by ALKB » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:19 pm

claraluh wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:40 pm
Hello Everyone,

What would be the possible ways to get a resident visa in Belgium if you are a British Citizen?
I am about to finish my Modern Languages BA and would like to spend some time in Belgium, I thought we would still be able to register this year as residents but information seems a bit vague. Any ideias?

Many thanks!!
If you can show that you have moved to Belgium before 1st January 2021, you have until the end of 2021 to apply for your residence status:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-belgium

From your post, I understand that you are not currently a resident of Belgium, so won't be able to claim freedom of movement under the withdrawal agreement.

'British nationals who wish to settle and reside in Belgium after 31/12/2020 will not be able to invoke the Withdrawal Treaty for that purpose. They will have to comply with the general rules that will apply in Belgium to immigrants who are not nationals of a Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area, or Switzerland. Nonetheless, there will be an exception for certain family members, who can prove a relationship with a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Treaty who will still be able to join their family member in Belgium after the transition period (see point 1).'

Source: https://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/brexit ... ls_belgium
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.