ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pre-settled to settled status, when to apply?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lunallena
Mood:

Pre-settled to settled status, when to apply?

Post by lunallena » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi,

I have been in the UK since September 2010. I initially came as a student in a Tier4 visa and in March 2016 I switched to a Tier2 visa. While on Tier2, I applied for a RC as an extended family member of EEA citizen (unmarried partner), which was granted in August 2017 (date on the card). Then I applied to pre-settled status, which was granted in February 2019 (date on the letter). Then I switched my EEA RC for a BRCE, which expires in February 2024.

My question is, when can I upgrade to settled status? I believe I will be eligible to do so in August next year but all these different dates confuse me. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

kamoe

Re: Pre-settled to settled status, when to apply?

Post by kamoe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:57 pm

lunallena wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:31 pm
My question is, when can I upgrade to settled status? I believe I will be eligible to do so in August next year
Correct.

Time spent in other immigration categories does NOT count towards the 5 years required to qualify for Settled Status. Only time spent in the UK as the family member of a EEA citizen counts. In the case of unmarried partners, you are recognized as the family member when your first EEA document is issued, be it a Family Permit or a Residence Card (not when you relationship started, nor when you started living together).

This means you will be eligible for Settle Status 5 years from August 2017, thus August 2022.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

lunallena
Mood:

Re: Pre-settled to settled status, when to apply?

Post by lunallena » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:29 am

Thank you for the clarification Kamoe, always to the rescue!