ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CSI - when is it needed

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bbee
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

CSI - when is it needed

Post by bbee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi all,

I appreciate this question has been asked left right and centre. I have researched the CSI requirements online and still find conflicting info.

My details, briefly:
- Italian, arrived in UK in 6/2012
- Worked as a waitress from 6/2012 - 10/2013
- Studied from 9/2013 - 6/2014
- Worked as a waitress during 7/2014 (but forgot to mention in the application)
- Worked as a teacher full time in state schools in England since 8/2014 - present.

I did not have CSI insurance during my study period; however, the requirement of "lawful residency" is covered for the past 5 years.

Would it help if I sent a letter to the HO giving an explanation? Or am I going to be fine?

Thank you in advance.

B

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: CSI - when is it needed

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:16 pm

Hello

You explain only if they ask you about it and your mileage varies. They can accept your explanation but they can as well reject it.

You need to show that you didn't have any immigration rules breach during the last 10 years. Sometimes they exercise discretion, sometimes not.

bbee
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

Post by bbee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Thank you Zerubbabel.

When you say "Explain only if they ask", are you implying they would contact me to ask for clarification on the lack of CSI? I had my biometrics appointment today and the officer asked about the CSI but nothing else.

I do meet the residency requirements for the past 5 years. In my case, would they use the CSI requirement to determine if someone is of "good character" (over the past 10 years), and not to determine if the applicant has met the "residency" requirements (because that's over 5, not 10 years) - is this correct?

I am now thinking if the following responses are incorrect in my application. Please can you advise on if the following are inaccurate:

Do you meet these residence requirements? ANSWER = YES (lawful residence over the past 5 years)

Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the
requirements to become a British citizen (for
example, you have had too many absences from the
UK)? ANSWER = NO (should I have said YES - and mention I was not aware of the CSI requirement at the time)

If you do not meet the statutory requirements to
become a British citizen, are there any special
circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application?
ANSWER = NO

Thank you again,

B

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:04 pm

So far there is no evidence that applications are being refused purely due to lack or issues with CSI. There is a trickle of reports across various forums that applicants have been approved despite having no or patchy CSI. So it appears discretion is being applied - you could attach a covering note explaining your situation.

Note that the question about "If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen ..." is for cases where an application would automatically fail, such as excessive absences or serious criminality.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

bbee
Newly Registered
Mood:
Italy

Post by bbee » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:20 pm

Thank you alterhase58. Got the email yesterday saying application has been successful - ha! That was quick.

Thank you both for your help!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:26 pm

Congratulations!
Good to know it went so quick and CSI was not an issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.