ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Future intention - British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hulk2021
Newly Registered

Future intention - British citizen

Post by hulk2021 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:48 am

Hi,

I became a British citizen in late 2019 and secured my British passport in early 2020.

Overall, I like living in the UK and since 2008, I have only been out of this country for less than 3 months. 2.5 months were actually for some formal work.

I am trying to find a good job here since a long time but I am really struggling and this has made me feel down because my career is not going anywhere. I feel I am somewhat depressed and perhaps, a change in the scenery by visiting or working in a country which is mostly sunny may change this or maybe, I have the 'grass is greener on the other side' syndrome lol Only joking :p. I definitely feel a lot worse in the winters here but these days, it's sunny so I am comparatively feeling better. However, this is just an idea. I have no job offer and I have no proper plans of moving to a different country as ideally, I would require a job along with a company sponsorship. On the other hand, my mum recently told me that she is about to become a citizen of the US and she would be able to sponsor me so this has given me some confidence about making such a plan work. My sister is already a US citizen. I currently have two passports, one is of Britain and the other is of my country of birth, is it acceptable for me to have a third passport/green card of the US or is that going to have negative consequences on my British naturalisation certificate or passport?

I have close family friends here in Britain but none are from my immediate family. My dad's first cousin and his family live in the UK though and I have also met him and interacted with his son several times. Since I have lived here since 2008, obviously, I have an establishment life here and I have made loads of friends. My mum, dad and siblings live abroad, nevertheless, I have no plans of moving with any of them. They are too conservative to my liking. I love British values which are based on freedom and tolerance. Anyway, my principal concern here is that if I do at least make an attempt to find a job abroad which has similar values, in particular, in one of the sunny states of the US either via a company sponsorship or via the mum's sponsorship route (the latter appears to have more potential of success) and try to find a good job there, then can that revoke my British passport or naturalisation certificate?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Backer
Member of Standing

Re: Future intention - British citizen

Post by Backer » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:22 am

You are overthinking and have nothing to worry about.

HCJNL

Post by HCJNL » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:47 am

You would only run a risk of losing your British citizenship if you intended to live abroad when your citizenship application was made (the 'intent to settle' requirement). That was not the case.
The UK imposes no restrictions on dual, or multiple, nationalities.

hulk2021
Newly Registered

Post by hulk2021 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:16 pm

Thank you for your replies.

So to my understanding, let's say even if everything works out and I move to the US via my mum's sponsorship, I mean after she gets the citizenship for instance, I can safely live in the US for several years and still come back to the UK to live and work, let's say, if I want to.

There's literally nothing which I need to be concerned about. I really hope I have understood this correctly. Once again, many thanks in anticipation. Have a great day everyone. Cheers

P.S. Guys, Djokovic is having a tough time against this very talented 19 year old right now. Perhaps, we are looking at the new Roger aka Musetti to take over the Big Three!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 pm

A British citizen can come and go as s/he wishes, for a few days, a few years or forever.
If you return after a few years the only restriction may be the "habitual residency test" - you may not qualify immediately for non-emergency NHS care or for benefits, but you cannot be refused entry.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.