ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Joint account statements for proof of continuous residence?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mtf
Newly Registered

Joint account statements for proof of continuous residence?

Post by mtf » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of using joint bank account statements, in the context of proving continuous residence for Settled Status? (NB the bank statement is *not* for proving a relationship between the account holders - this is just to prove that one of the account holders was resident in the UK for 5 years, when she upgrades her Presettled status to Settled.)

The caseworker guidance says that an annual bank statement should "show payments received or spending in the UK in at least six months of that 12 month period", but I'm concerned that a joint account statement wouldn't actually prove which of the two account holders was receiving/spending money in the UK.

My mother-in-law still has 4 years to wait before Settled Status, so I'm wondering whether to advise her that a single account will be safer than a joint account for evidential purposes, even though she prefers to use a joint account with my wife. (She is retired and has no NI number, so she is quite sparse on documents.) Tried phoning the Settlement Scheme helpline, and they have no idea what I'm talking about - the concept of being prepared for an application in 4 years time is beyond them :roll:

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Joint account statements for proof of continuous residence?

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Are there separate debit cards for the account holders? In that case you could include a scan of the front of your mother's card (only showing relevant data). In my case statements show which card was used (last 4 digits). I also have credit card statements where transactions are flagged to the named people on the account.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mtf
Newly Registered

Post by mtf » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:35 pm

Actually you're right @alterhase58, the last 4 digits are there on the statements, in the form

Card Transaction 1234 05 Jul 2021 TESCO

...for those who know what the 1234 is! I never looked that closely.

This raises a related question, though. The guidance says that annual statements "showing at least 6 months of payments received or spending in the UK" can be used to show an entire year of residence - but our annual statements do not show any monthly breakdown of transactions. So I'm not really sure how an annual statement could ever prove "6 months of payments", regardless of the cardholder. And we can't upload monthly/quarterly statements for the 5 years, because they only accept a maximum of 10 documents :?.

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:59 pm

mtf wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:35 pm
we can't upload monthly/quarterly statements for the 5 years, because they only accept a maximum of 10 documents
When I faced similar issue, I just combined 12 monthly statements into 1 pdf. So there were 5 files covering 5 years.

mtf
Newly Registered

Post by mtf » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:48 am

TerryGH wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:59 pm
mtf wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:35 pm
we can't upload monthly/quarterly statements for the 5 years, because they only accept a maximum of 10 documents
When I faced similar issue, I just combined 12 monthly statements into 1 pdf. So there were 5 files covering 5 years.
That's a great idea, thanks :D