ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel without GNIB but I have visa on my passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rude555
Mood:
Ireland

Can I travel without GNIB but I have visa on my passport

Post by Rude555 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:56 pm

Hey guys, i applied for my Irish passport but they take 8 weeks and I don't have GNIB but I have visa on my passport.

Can I travel on my citizenship certificate???

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Can I travel without GNIB but I have visa on my passport

Post by littlerr » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:32 pm

How did you apply for Irish passport without submitting your own country’s passport?

Anyway, if there is a valid re-entry visa on your passport, you don’t need your IRP/GNIB card.

Alvk
Newly Registered
Venezuela

Post by Alvk » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:02 am

Hi there,

I have a follow up question to this, if I have a reentry visa can I travel without my Naturalization Certificate?

I'm afraid that even having the reentry visa they won't allow me back unless I show the certificate of naturalization along with it.

Note: i only have the visa without the stamp 6

I appreciate if anyone has experience with this

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:10 am

Certificate of naturalisation is not and has never been a travel or identity document.

Your passport is your identity and travel document. If you have an Irish visa, or a passport that does not require entry visa for Ireland, it will be enough.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:59 pm

Alvk wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:02 am
Hi there,

I have a follow up question to this, if I have a reentry visa can I travel without my Naturalization Certificate?

I'm afraid that even having the reentry visa they won't allow me back unless I show the certificate of naturalization along with it.

Note: i only have the visa without the stamp 6

I appreciate if anyone has experience with this
A valid re-entry visa OR a valid IRP card is all you need (and of course your passport).
Never ever travel with your naturalisation certificate. It's a very valuable document and cannot be replaced. You can have a copy of your certificate with you if you wish. That would save you a few seconds when you pass the immigration. Once the immigration officer sees a copy of that, they will not ask any further questions. But it's not compulsory. A re-entry visa alone is sufficient.

shahbesri
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by shahbesri » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:20 pm

Hi Littlerr,

I have been reading this forum, seems that you have quite good knowledge regarding IRP. Im wondering if you could give me advice on my situation.

Im Shah (Malaysian Passport) on Stamp 1, waiting for the Support Letter for Stamp 4.

Recently I was required to send my Original IRP to NDLS for proof of address for Learners Permit, however, An Post managed to lose my IRP. I have made effort to contact NDLS and An Post but yielded no results.

I have made a Garda report and trying to get the earliest appointment with GNIB at Burgh Quay.

The situation now is, I have flights book on the 1st of September to travel to Europe, I tried to read on the INIS website, there's no information saying that you are not allowed to travel without IRP.

Im wondering if you know if it's acceptable for me to travel since I have the police report and a valid stamp on my passport and it's impossible for me to get the appointment to re-issue my IRP card in time before travel. Malaysian passport does require a visa btw.

Thank you in advance and appreciate any input.

Have a good day
Shah

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:01 pm

shahbesri wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:20 pm
Hi Littlerr,

I have been reading this forum, seems that you have quite good knowledge regarding IRP. Im wondering if you could give me advice on my situation.

Im Shah (Malaysian Passport) on Stamp 1, waiting for the Support Letter for Stamp 4.

Recently I was required to send my Original IRP to NDLS for proof of address for Learners Permit, however, An Post managed to lose my IRP. I have made effort to contact NDLS and An Post but yielded no results.

I have made a Garda report and trying to get the earliest appointment with GNIB at Burgh Quay.

The situation now is, I have flights book on the 1st of September to travel to Europe, I tried to read on the INIS website, there's no information saying that you are not allowed to travel without IRP.

Im wondering if you know if it's acceptable for me to travel since I have the police report and a valid stamp on my passport and it's impossible for me to get the appointment to re-issue my IRP card in time before travel. Malaysian passport does require a visa btw.

Have a good day
Shah
You will need a visa if you don’t have an IRP card. You can apply for a re-entry visa by using the Stamp 6 re-entry visa form (even though you are not Stamp 6 holder) but it might be a bit too late now unfortunately. An alternative is to apply for an entry visa from the Irish embassy.

The Irish immigration *may* allow you to enter Ireland, but the airline will likely refuse you to board the plane if you don’t have an IRP or a valid visa sticker. Some airlines are stricter than others but in light of the COVID situation, most airlines will do their due diligence and make sure you have a valid visa or residence card, otherwise if you are refused entry by border control, the airline will likely be required to pay a penalty.

shahbesri
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by shahbesri » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:47 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:01 pm
shahbesri wrote:
Hi Littlerr,

Have a good day
Shah
You will need a visa if you don’t have an IRP card. You can apply for a re-entry visa by using the Stamp 6 re-entry visa form (even though you are not Stamp 6 holder) but it might be a bit too late now unfortunately. An alternative is to apply for an entry visa from the Irish embassy.

The Irish immigration *may* allow you to enter Ireland, but the airline will likely refuse you to board the plane if you don’t have an IRP or a valid visa sticker. Some airlines are stricter than others but in light of the COVID situation, most airlines will do their due diligence and make sure you have a valid visa or residence card, otherwise if you are refused entry by border control, the airline will likely be required to pay a penalty.
Hi Littler,

First of all, thank you so much for your prompt reply, I really appreciate you are taking the time.

Perhaps I might not explain it well earlier, I'm a Malaysian residing in Dublin at the moment, I lost my IRP in the post a few weeks ago and An Post couldn't retrieve it.

I have made a Garda / Police report, and I have book travel from Ireland to Germany on the 1st of September returning to Dublin on the 7th.

I know that a Malaysian passport does not require a visa, can I still travel from Ireland to Germany and back with a valid passport, valid Stamp 1, and Garda letter (saying that my IRP was lost due to An Post mismanagement).

I hope i explain it well this time.

Thank you again
Shah

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:46 pm

shahbesri wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:47 pm

Hi Littler,

First of all, thank you so much for your prompt reply, I really appreciate you are taking the time.

Perhaps I might not explain it well earlier, I'm a Malaysian residing in Dublin at the moment, I lost my IRP in the post a few weeks ago and An Post couldn't retrieve it.

I have made a Garda / Police report, and I have book travel from Ireland to Germany on the 1st of September returning to Dublin on the 7th.

I know that a Malaysian passport does not require a visa, can I still travel from Ireland to Germany and back with a valid passport, valid Stamp 1, and Garda letter (saying that my IRP was lost due to An Post mismanagement).

Thank you again
Shah
Alright your previous post said your passport ‘does need a visa’ instead of ‘does not’.

Since you don’t need a visa to travel to Ireland, you should be fine. If I were you, I wouldn’t mention to airline staff that you lost your IRP card. It would be none of airline staff’s business why you are travelling to Ireland.

I won’t say there’s definitely not going to be any issue in the border, but I can’t see them giving you a hard time as long as you have your Garda report. A lot of people have travelled without an IRP card and a visa for all sorts of different reasons and I have never heard of anyone being refused entry.

shahbesri
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by shahbesri » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:51 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:46 pm
shahbesri wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:47 pm

Hi Littler,

Thank you again
Shah
Alright your previous post said your passport ‘does need a visa’ instead of ‘does not’.

Since you don’t need a visa to travel to Ireland, you should be fine. If I were you, I wouldn’t mention to airline staff that you lost your IRP card. It would be none of airline staff’s business why you are travelling to Ireland.

I won’t say there’s definitely not going to be any issue in the border, but I can’t see them giving you a hard time as long as you have your Garda report. A lot of people have travelled without an IRP card and a visa for all sorts of different reasons and I have never heard of anyone being refused entry.
Dear Littler,

Again thank you for your time and reply.

Really appreciate your help.

Kind regards
Shah

mateeuss
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mateeuss » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:56 pm

Dear Shah,

I am in the exact same situation. Did you had any problems returning to Ireland without your IRP card?

Regards,

shahbesri
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by shahbesri » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:07 pm

mateeuss wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:56 pm
Dear Shah,

I am in the exact same situation. Did you had any problems returning to Ireland without your IRP card?

Regards,
Hi Mateeuss,

NDLS end up locating my IRP card , they have posted it back to me , but I actually cancel our trip due to concerns on not having the IRP on hand, after much research and reading online and consulted with a friend who worked with the airline, the issue could arise when you about to board from the country back to Ireland, some airlines ground staff can be strict.

Kind regards
Shah

Virgo
Ireland

Post by Virgo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:02 am

littlerr wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:01 pm
shahbesri wrote:
Hi Littlerr,

Have a good day
Shah

Hi guys,
I was in the same situation. i had applied my irish passport and estimated date is 16 nov21 and i am about to fly in a week time. Luckily i asked passport customer hub to send my national passport. after getting my passport i went to immigration office and a fella (INIS) told us we can give you yours irp card or cant process. you better apply for re-entry visa. I sent my passport along with my naturalisation cert n irp photo copy with reentry visa form and explained them in a letter about my urgent travel. within two days later someone rang us and asked if we can collect the passport with visa on it today we just went there and collected. you don't have to apply ur stamp 6 for for reentry. hope wen i am back from holidays irish passport will be processed by then,

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:13 pm

Virgo wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:02 am
Hi guys,
I was in the same situation. i had applied my irish passport and estimated date is 16 nov21 and i am about to fly in a week time. Luckily i asked passport customer hub to send my national passport. after getting my passport i went to immigration office and a fella (INIS) told us we can give you yours irp card or cant process. you better apply for re-entry visa. I sent my passport along with my naturalisation cert n irp photo copy with reentry visa form and explained them in a letter about my urgent travel. within two days later someone rang us and asked if we can collect the passport with visa on it today we just went there and collected. you don't have to apply ur stamp 6 for for reentry. hope wen i am back from holidays irish passport will be processed by then,
Thanks for confirming that the process is still valid. Yes you shouldn't need a Stamp 6 to get a re-entry visa. The visa office is quite flexible in issuing re-entry visas these days, as long as you have a valid permission to stay in the country, have a valid reason for urgent travel but don't have an IRP card.