ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner has pre-settled status but I became British citizen in the meantime - when eligible to apply for settled status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DUSTDEVIL
Newly Registered
Poland

Partner has pre-settled status but I became British citizen in the meantime - when eligible to apply for settled status?

Post by DUSTDEVIL » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:17 pm

Hello,

got quite a complex issue, so I will list the scenario:
  • Both EU citizens, I've been living in the UK since 2012, she joined me in December 2017
  • In March 2019 we filled the EU settlement scheme applications: I got settled, she got pre-settled - thus, she will be eligible to get settled status in December 2022
  • In January 2020 we got married
  • In February 2020 I've become a British citizen (yay! Many thanks for your help BTW)
So, theoretically she is now married to a Brit, does it means that she is eligible to apply for settled status after 3 years since coming to the UK (so she is eligible retroactively to apply for settled since December 2020)?

Or this particular fact doesn't change anything and she is eligible to apply for settled status as previously stated, after 5 years, in her case - after December 2022?

Honestly we are not hard pressed to get her settled as soon as possible, I'm simply curious if we can "speed up" the process a bit, as she was mentioning that she'd like to become a Brit sooner than later :wink:

vinny

Re: Partner has pre-settled status but I became British citizen in the meantime - when eligible to apply for settled sta

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:57 pm

No. Luckily, I think that her eligibility for settled status remains the same after you became British.

However, a difference is that she may naturalise immediately after they grant her settled status, subject to satisfying all the requirements.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.