ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

settled eea family member becomes eu citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ashd
Newly Registered

settled eea family member becomes eu citizen

Post by ashd » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:55 am

Hi,
I hold settled status, granted while being EEA family member,
I hold an expired EEA family member BRC, and haven't had a chance to switch to EUSS BRC(yet)
I've recently become EU citizen,

my questions is :
do I still need to apply for EUSS BRC ?
or only update my UKVI account by adding the new extra EU nationality?

my worries are mainly due to a recent experience where I had difficulties returning to the UK with only my digital settled status and non EU passport, while my other family members had no issue reentering the UK with their digital settled status + EU passports
Thanks,

Alex3
Newly Registered
Portugal

Re: settled eea family member becomes eu citizen

Post by Alex3 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:29 am

There is a major problem here for non-EEA nationals who are settled in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme (as the wife or husband of an EEA national). This is a direct breach of the EU Withdrawal Agreement.

My wife is currently stuck in Portugal after a 2 day business trip from the UK to an international conference where we were exhibiting. When trying to return to the UK, she has been refused boarding on two airlines, and UK immigration have stated her documents are fine, not fine, no boarding (3 different officers, 3 different responses).

Immigration officials do not know the rules, every one having a different story.

I specifically checked everything was all correct when I came back to the UK from a different business trip just 2 weeks ago because her EAA Family Permit (biometric card) expired in mid October, and was told that travel with a printout of her pre-settled status was sufficient (with passport, passenger locator etc). It is not.

The information on https://www.gov.uk/uk-residence-card is highly misleading.

My wife has been refused boarding twice, despite her Pre-settled status document stating clearly:
Your pre-settled status means you can:
travel in and out of the country without having to prove your status, as your information will be checked automatically

We have spent over £2,000 on extra tickets and hotel accommodation, and have applied for every visa that is accessible, including BRC (even though it is for non-EU Settlement applicants only), EAA family permit (despite the .gov.uk site saying these are no longer issued, that is not the case), and a BRF visa. So far, still stuck as these visa applications run through third party visa agencies that work for the British Embassy.

The advice from the EU Settlement Scheme helpline, is that they do not handle any issues relating to crossing the border into the UK and we should see an immigration lawyer.

Strongly advise not to travel unless you have a valid BRF or BRC or equivalent.

ashd
Newly Registered

Re: settled eea family member becomes eu citizen

Post by ashd » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:37 pm

@alex, I completely understand your situation (I also was there, been blocked 4 months outside of the UK despite having settled status ...), and you are giving very critical advice, but this is not what this topic is about.
this is topic is precisely about what an EEA family member with settled status should do after aquiring an EU nationality:
- do I still need to apply for EUSS BRC ? which means I should have EU passport + settled status + EUSS card
- or only update my UKVI account by adding the new extra EU nationality? which means I should have EU passport + settled status