ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amodi
Newly Registered
India

Travel after naturalization

Post by amodi » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi

I had applied for British Citizenship and recently got an email from HO that my application has been successful and should contact council for ceremony.
When i contacted council they said that i need to book my ceremony before 22 nd December(The documents they received from HO are having a date of 23rd sept and need to be done with 90 days of that date)

But I need to travel to India on 9th Dec and coming back on 4th Jan 2022.
Local council said they will do an online ceremony taking only 10 min and then i can collect the certificate.

My question is:

- Is it okay to travel to India after getting naturalization certificate using India Passport ?
As it seems there would be an 90days grace period after getting British Citizenship.

- while coming back to UK, Can i use my current ILR BRP(looks like this will be invalid once British Citizenship is granted) or British Citizenship certificate to enter UK ?

OR
- should i immediately apply for British Passport(As i have 4 weeks of time) and travel to india using online eVisa ?

Appreciate any advise/guidance.
Thanks

dalam
Newly Registered
India

Re: Travel after naturalization

Post by dalam » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:52 pm

amodi wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:48 pm
Hi

I had applied for British Citizenship and recently got an email from HO that my application has been successful and should contact council for ceremony.
When i contacted council they said that i need to book my ceremony before 22 nd December(The documents they received from HO are having a date of 23rd sept and need to be done with 90 days of that date)

But I need to travel to India on 9th Dec and coming back on 4th Jan 2022.
Local council said they will do an online ceremony taking only 10 min and then i can collect the certificate.

My question is:

- Is it okay to travel to India after getting naturalization certificate using India Passport ?
As it seems there would be an 90days grace period after getting British Citizenship.
> This is fine, as the clause is you cannot use the India Passport after getting a UK Passport. Post naturalisation and before you get the passport, you have a grace time of 90 days

- while coming back to UK, Can i use my current ILR BRP(looks like this will be invalid once British Citizenship is granted) or British Citizenship certificate to enter UK ?
> This is tricky, as ILR should not be used after naturalisation, technically it should be sent back immediately as there is a potential fine if you don't - read it somewhere. Also, you can't enter UK with just a naturalisation letter and Indian passport, as it is not a inherent right to adobe uk. That is what UK passport gives. So nett, it is better to apply for the UK passport, and as soon as it comes, apply for surrender and then take a paper visa. All this will be minimum 45 days. Am exactly in the same situation right now and waiting for my surrender certificate to come before i take a visa, and then apply for oci and go to India. It is quite a laborious process

OR
- should i immediately apply for British Passport(As i have 4 weeks of time) and travel to india using online eVisa ?
eVisa is not available for UK passport holders, but i feel it can open anytime soon. Fingers crossed.

Appreciate any advise/guidance.
Thanks