ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to BC question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Re: ILR to BC question

Post by Cristina88 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:40 am

Hi Gurus,

I have got Citizenship ceremony date on 12 Jan. I have few questions for my husband's BC application:

1) Can he apply for BC on 12 Jan itself ?
2) Application has questions on past visa & biometric details. Unfortunately, we don't remember precisely and do not have access to the email address used (previous employer now closed down). Is it better to leave application & biometric date blank or we fill it to best of our knowledge. Will there be any issue if dates are +/- few days ?
3) My husband has received FPN from a local council for entering 'no entry except for access/taxi' lane. Do I need to declare this ? There is a question - "A penalty for a driving offence, for example disqualification for speeding or no motor insurance"

THanks a lot !

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:55 am

Congrats!

1) Yes he could if he satisfies all the requirements. Though best not to rush to avoid mistakes ....
2) Fill in all the details you have/can remember and attach a note to explain. Not an issue.
3) Declare the FPN but shouldn't be an issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:07 am

Thanks a lot @alterhase58 !

1) Yes he meets all the requirement, no absence of 270days in last 3 years or 90 days in last 1 year. Just to confirm, he should be in UK on 12 Jan 2020 (i.e. 1 year before) or 12 Jan 2019 (i.e. 3 years before) ?

3) So you mean I answer YES to the following question ? or Answer it No and mention it only on the cover letter ?

At any time have you ever had any of the following?
  • A criminal conviction
  • A penalty for a driving offence, for example disqualification for speeding or no motor insurance
  • An arrest or charge for which you are currently on, or awaiting trial
  • A caution, warning, reprimand or other out-of-court penalty
  • A civil court judgment against you, for example for non payment of debt, bankruptcy proceedings or anti-social behaviour
  • A civil penalty issued under UK immigration law

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:55 am

Cristina88 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:07 am
Thanks a lot @alterhase58 !

1) Yes he meets all the requirement, no absence of 270days in last 3 years or 90 days in last 1 year. Just to confirm, he should be in UK on 12 Jan 2020 (i.e. 1 year before) or 12 Jan 2019 (i.e. 3 years before) ? It's 3 years before - there is no one year rule

3) So you mean I answer YES to the following question ? or Answer it No and mention it only on the cover letter ? Just "Yes" for the FPN - there should then be space to give details.

At any time have you ever had any of the following?
  • A criminal conviction
  • A penalty for a driving offence, for example disqualification for speeding or no motor insurance
  • An arrest or charge for which you are currently on, or awaiting trial
  • A caution, warning, reprimand or other out-of-court penalty
  • A civil court judgment against you, for example for non payment of debt, bankruptcy proceedings or anti-social behaviour
  • A civil penalty issued under UK immigration law
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:38 am

3) apologies, my bad, he received a PCN (not FPN). Does he need to declare a PCN ?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:03 pm

Sorry not sure about the difference between the two .... if in doubt declare - unless applicant is a serial offender, not paying fines and/or taken to court and being found liable there shouldn't be an issue.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:21 pm

No need to declare a PCN.

He should apply on the 13th Jan to avoid any doubts.

If he applies on the 13th Jan 2022, he should be physically in UK on the 14th Jan 2019.

Submit a copy of your passport, Naturalisation certificate and marriage certificate.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:46 am

Thanks again @Cullinan , thanks alterhase !

We have a confusion, in the application we no where mentioned that he is applying in his own right or as spouse of British citizen (there is no such question). How can we specify that he is applying as spouse of British citizen ?
Requirement of docs: Proof of living in the UK for Mr XX for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen. --- > this has caused the confusion as there was no question in what right we are applying for BC :?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:29 pm

I understand that if you are supplying 3 years worth of evidence only, plus spouse details, this will be taken as a spouse application. I think there was never a question on that - certainly not on the paper form which I completed way back(not as spouse).

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

First British Passport for Mother & Child

Post by Cristina88 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:50 am

Hi

My ceremony is on 12 Jan and planning to apply for British passport for both myself and my son on same day.
Can we make combined application or these are 2 different applications ?
Can I send the documents in same envelope or different for both ?

Thank you again & again :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:05 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:48 am

Thank you, but with due respect I have already gone through these guidance and it doesn't answer my specific question. Would be useful if anyone who has applied for both parent & child together can guide.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:53 am

Each applicant applies on their own individual form.

If you apply online, it will tell you for each one which HMPO office the documents need to be sent to. There is no "joint passport" process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:04 pm

understood and thanks a lot CR001 !!

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

First passport documents post

Post by Cristina88 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:46 pm

Hi Gurus,

I have been reading several worrying stories on this forum from people whose naturalisation cert were not handled properly by HMPO.
To keep the supporting docs (specially naturalisation certificate) what is the best practice ? Which envelope should we send the documents and which/if any shall we send to safely return our supporting docs ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:06 pm

Cristina88 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:46 am
Thanks again @Cullinan , thanks alterhase !

We have a confusion, in the application we no where mentioned that he is applying in his own right or as spouse of British citizen (there is no such question). How can we specify that he is applying as spouse of British citizen ?
Requirement of docs: Proof of living in the UK for Mr XX for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen. --- > this has caused the confusion as there was no question in what right we are applying for BC :?
Clarify in the space provided on the form/cover letter that he is making an application as per Section 6(2). Also, submit the relevant evidence for 3 years only.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: First passport documents post

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:09 pm

Cristina88 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:46 pm
Hi Gurus,

I have been reading several worrying stories on this forum from people whose naturalisation cert were not handled properly by HMPO.
To keep the supporting docs (specially naturalisation certificate) what is the best practice ? Which envelope should we send the documents and which/if any shall we send to safely return our supporting docs ?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Apply both applications separately (yours will be an adult passport application and child passport application for your child).
You may get two different addresses for both application. Post is via special delivery in a no-fold envelope.
It is your luck how the naturalisation certificate comes back. Some HMPO send them straight in an A4 envelope when it gets crushed, some send folded in a small envelope (which is actually better). But you can mention on the cover letter when you make an application to send the naturalisation certificate back with care.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:12 pm

Also, in the application, when it asks about the spouse details (that is yourself), input British. The form by default assumes then the applicant is applying as per Section 6(2) plus the 3 year evidence. Also clarify your other nationality (Aus) in the cover letter or add in the form itself.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:16 pm

FYI: Even if there are two passport applications and two different HMPO addresses, both documents can be sent to ONE HMPO office also in case of a family. However, HMPO will transfer the documents to the correct HMPO office via internal mail which will slightly delay the application.

So best practice is to send documents to the relevant HMPO office via special delivery separately to avoid any delay.