ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I work abroad while waiting for the decision?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

What evidence can I use to prove I've been here for 5 years?

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:36 pm

I came here in 2015 and then went to university until 2018, I was then unemployed for about 3 months and then worked part-time but I don't think I was getting payslips most of the time. I have a few but they won't cover the whole 4 years period (do they have to?). I don't think I could use utility bills because we had a top-up meter and then bills were included in rent. At my first place we also initially paid rent in cash so there's no confirmation. Can I use bank statements instead? I really don't want to contact my previous employers for a letter

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Questions about the referees requirement

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:57 pm

Hi, I have questions about referees:
1. I read that a photographer can act as a referee. I've previously worked with a photographer who has his own business but I was never paid for it, we worked on 'time for print' basis - does it matter?
2. I read that referees have to sign a declaration. Do I print the declaration and send it for the referees to sign and then scan it and upload it with my application? Where can I print it from?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: What evidence can I use to prove I've been here for 5 years?

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:04 pm

joacak95 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:36 pm
I came here in 2015 and then went to university until 2018, I was then unemployed for about 3 months and then worked part-time but I don't think I was getting payslips most of the time. I have a few but they won't cover the whole 4 years period (do they have to?). I don't think I could use utility bills because we had a top-up meter and then bills were included in rent. At my first place we also initially paid rent in cash so there's no confirmation. Can I use bank statements instead? I really don't want to contact my previous employers for a letter
You need official type documents to support your residency period, payslips, P60, council tax, HMRC, NHS communications, or letters from employers, just one type or a mix is acceptable. Utility bills or banks statements are not accepted.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Questions about the referees requirement

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:08 pm

joacak95 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:57 pm
Hi, I have questions about referees:
1. I read that a photographer can act as a referee. I've previously worked with a photographer who has his own business but I was never paid for it, we worked on 'time for print' basis - does it matter?
The only thing that matters is that the referee qualifies to act as one.
2. I read that referees have to sign a declaration. Do I print the declaration and send it for the referees to sign and then scan it and upload it with my application? Where can I print it from?
When you submit/pay for your application you will then be able to print off the forms and arrange completion, then upload with your other documents.

Thanks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

No national insurance contributions

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:28 am

Hi. I haven't been earning enough to pay national insurance contributions and from what I've read, my application will be more closely looked at because of that. But what does it mean in practice? Should I explain in a cover letter why I didn't work full-time?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: No national insurance contributions

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:21 pm

joacak95 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:28 am
Hi. I haven't been earning enough to pay national insurance contributions and from what I've read, my application will be more closely looked at because of that Where did you read this???. But what does it mean in practice? Should I explain in a cover letter why I didn't work full-time?
Note there are no earnings or other financial requirements for naturalisation - unemployed, pensioners, homemakers, etc apply all the time if they can satisfy the requirements. Taxes/NI/Benefits are no issue at all if you paid/received everything that was due or you were entitled to.

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Re: No national insurance contributions

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Thank you!

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

What's the waiting time for receiving your travel history?

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:48 pm

I requested a history of my absences from the UK 2 weeks ago... does anyone know of the estimated waiting time?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: What's the waiting time for receiving your travel history?

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:56 pm

joacak95 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:48 pm
I requested a history of my absences from the UK 2 weeks ago... does anyone know of the estimated waiting time?
Probably around 20 to 40 working days.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Very confused about how application checking service works

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:30 am

My plan is to prepare documents on my own but I don't trust myself to submit them all correctly; I worry I might put the wrong information in there because I struggle with concentration and I did taxes wrong once. But companies I've called only offer phone service or ask me to send them an already filled in paper application. I'm just confused, how would they know I did everything right without looking at my travel history, accessing my HMRC account etc?

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Is an HMRC letter stating employment history enough to use as a proof of residence?

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:58 am

I have very few payslips and P60 that only covers a year. Will a letter from HMRC be enough?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Is an HMRC letter stating employment history enough to use as a proof of residence?

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:31 pm

joacak95 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:58 am
I have very few payslips and P60 that only covers a year. Will a letter from HMRC be enough?
Can't comment on HMRC letter, but you can also use other official documents, such as Council Tax bills, other HMRC letters/documents, DWP, NHS, etc.

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Re: Is an HMRC letter stating employment history enough to use as a proof of residence?

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:52 pm

What kind of NHS letters? I can provide a council tax letter for some years but right now all my bills are included in rent

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:01 pm

It seems you have to put together a set of documents from different sources - you don't need one type of document for all years.
NHS letters would be correspondence from your GP, with Hospital, etc

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

What does letter from an employer have to include?

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:21 pm

I'm going to contact a previous employer and ask them to write me a letter to include as residency evidence but the advice on this isn't detailed enough: ". Dated and signed letter from an employer, confirming the duration of a period of UK based employment which has been undertaken, and confirmation of the employer’s
status (such as registration with HMRC or Companies House) - this will be considered
evidence of residence for the period of that employment"

I'm not sure what the confirmation of the employer's status means? Will writing "I confirm that... was employed at our company between date until date" be enough?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: What does letter from an employer have to include?

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:11 pm

Not aware of the guidance you quote but here's the skeleton of the letter I had from my then employer:

To whom it may concern
Employee Name:
Staff Number:

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:21 pm

Not familiar with the guidance you quote.
Here is an example of an (anonymised) employers letter which was used in an application (no issues).
Note employers will have different policies as to what they write in a "reference type" letter - contact the HR department.
Must be on employer letter head which normally shows the company registration.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (50.09 KiB) Viewed 997 times

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Can I work abroad while waiting for the decision?

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:01 am

If I were to take on a 6 months/ year-long contract abroad after submitting the application, would it be withdrawn? I'd be still renting a place here

kamoe

Re: Can I work abroad while waiting for the decision?

Post by kamoe » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:35 am

joacak95 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:01 am
If I were to take on a 6 months/ year-long contract abroad after submitting the application, would it be withdrawn?

Short answer is, applicants for British citizenship can travel freely outside the UK after the application without that invalidating their application in itself.

That being said, as I explained in this thread, you are supposed to have the intention to make the UK your main residence after your citizenship has been granted. You would have declared so in the application. Question is, if that's your intention, why are you taking a job abroad right after applying? You can't guarantee that a year-long contract won't become long term, so really, you need to ask yourself why you are taking that opportunity given you just committed to establishing your life in the UK.

If you attempt to apply for your first British passport abroad after your citizenship has been granted, the truthfulness of your intentions to establish your life in the UK might be called into question.
I'd be still renting a place here
Why? An attempt to make it look like you still live in the UK when you actually live abroad can be considered deceit.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:08 pm

Because I like it here and I want to come back to the same place after the contract - if I move out, someone else will take over. Then what about leaving after being granted citizenship? Wouldn't it be pretty much the same thing if I went right after applying for the passport? If so, how long should I wait to be able to go abroad for a few months then? I just want to work abroad for a while and then go to uni here and then settle

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:31 pm

joacak95 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:08 pm
I just want to work abroad for a while and then go to uni here and then settle
Riiiiiiight. You are a young person who has not yet been to uni? Fair enough.

Again, the application would not be withdrawn or refused just because you travel; and nothing legally preventing you from leaving everything in order, citizenship, passport, etc. then organising a gap year with the intention to come back to your flat and start your student life in the UK. There isn't really any legally stipulated period of time you should wait before traveling, but there is the requirement to have a genuine intention to settle in the UK, and the Home Office must be satisfied that that is your intention.

It would be a different story if you were a professional worker who used to work in the UK then decides to take a contract abroad right after acquiring British citizenship. That is a difficult case to justify to the Home Office, since no one can be certain they will come back in those circumstances. If one's intention is to settle in the UK then one does not usually take employment abroad right after acquiring citizenship.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:36 pm

Well, I have an undergraduate degree and I'm a professional, I just want to do master's too. So, I'm never allowed to leave then? Because I don't see how I could prove that I have an intention to come back and I'll be too old for a contract like that soon :)

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:16 pm

wertyouoyoyy wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:36 pm
Well, I have an undergraduate degree and I'm a professional, I just want to do master's too.
OK, I just read your other posts. Not sure how others read it, but to me "going to uni" sounds like doing an undergraduate degree.
So, I'm never allowed to leave then?
You have already been given an answer to this. There is no legal stipulation to prevent you from traveling, BUT...
Because I don't see how I could prove that I have an intention to come back
... you said it yourself. The onus is on you to satisfy the Home Office that you indeed intend to settle in the UK after your citizenship is granted. That is usually straightforward when you are currently in employment in the UK when you apply (employment details are given in the application), and have a genuine intention to settle. Genuine intention to settle usually means not actually finding oneself abroad for a whole year, days or weeks after the granting of citizenship.

Can't offer any more answer than this.

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:15 am

I mean, if I ever decide to move to another country even in 5 years, there's still no guarantee I'm coming back. And I don't mean days or weeks but months or even a year after

wertyouoyoyy
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by wertyouoyoyy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:41 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:21 pm
Not familiar with the guidance you quote.
Here is an example of an (anonymised) employers letter which was used in an application (no issues).
Note employers will have different policies as to what they write in a "reference type" letter - contact the HR department.
Must be on employer letter head which normally shows the company registration.
Capture.JPG
Thank you. So are they supposed to address it to the Home Office?