ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

FBRLurker
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by FBRLurker » Fri May 27, 2022 7:37 pm

Been lurking here for a while, guess I should post! I submitted my online application on the 24th May 2022, and got my documents notarised/the whole thing posted on the 25th May 2022.

I'm pretty anxious though, because I wasn't able to provide a notarised copy of my Northern Irish-born maternal grandfather's ID due to estrangement; I've never even met the man, and the last time my mother saw him was when she was approx 16. All searches point to him very much still being alive, as recent as April 2022.

To complicate matters more, I *do* have email contact with my grandfather's brother, and I included a copy of his ID and birth certificate in the application. However, the brother still lives in Northern Ireland, so with me being in England, I couldn't exactly get his ID notarised. The brother also does not have contact with my grandfather, and hasn't for around 10 years now; apparently there have been numerous incidents and falling outs between them.

I emailed the embassy before beginning my application, who forwarded my query to the FBR team; was initially stated that his ID was a requirement, full stop, but I pushed for more and interestingly was told that the FBR team can contact the Passport Office to see if he currently holds an Irish passport, which would mitigate that requirement; whether or not he does is anyone's guess, though. They concluded that they have to consider the identity of each applicant individually and as such cannot discourage me from applying.

So I've submitted it with 4 birth certificates (mine, my mother's, my grandfather's and his brother's), notarised photocopies of mine and my mother's IDs, unnotarised photocopy of my great uncle's ID, copies of my grandparents' divorce documents (including separation agreement and decree nisi), my grandparents' marriage certificate, the emails exchanged previously, an affidavit outlining the whole deal and also a cover letter. As well as the proof of address and photographs.

Only other worries are that my mother's passport expires in February 2023, and that the notary public didn't write the application number on two of the photos (I was stressing about the form stating they had to be stamped, so accidentally missed this part - he sealed, signed and dated them, as the stamp wouldn't fit, so hopefully that should be satisfactory).

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:11 am

One thing I've learned from this form is that Monday's and Tuesday's are very quiet for FBR approvals...

MrMister2022
Newly Registered

Post by MrMister2022 » Tue May 31, 2022 3:07 pm

How have people approached conflicting instructions in the application?

For example, regarding the two signed photographs, the application's instructions state:
I also certify that the four photographs (the back of two of which I have signed, stamped and entered the application number)
But on the checklist, the instructions state:
Two of the photographs must be signed, stamped and dated by a witness
I asked my witness both to write the date AND the application number on the back, but I only noticed that the instructions were different in those two places after the photos had already been signed with the application number (but not dated).

I was also unsure about whether to provide marriage certificates if they weren't needed to confirm a change of name. The checklist begins with this text in caps indicating all the listed documents are required, not optional...
ALL OF THE LISTED DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION
...and then states:
Original civil marriage certificate (if married)
But on the list of required documents on the DFA website, it states:
Original civil marriage certificate (if applicable)
I am married, but my name hasn't changed from how it appears on my birth certificate, so is the marriage certificate required if married (I am married) or required only if applicable (to show change of name, which is not applicable for me)? I suspect it would only be required if I needed to demonstrate a change of name, but I don't know how strict the requirements are and whether it's better to err on the side caution by sending additional documents to cover all eventualities...

How have others approached this?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue May 31, 2022 3:19 pm

MrMister2022 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:07 pm
How have people approached conflicting instructions in the application?

For example, regarding the two signed photographs, the application's instructions state:
I also certify that the four photographs (the back of two of which I have signed, stamped and entered the application number)
But on the checklist, the instructions state:
Two of the photographs must be signed, stamped and dated by a witness
I asked my witness both to write the date AND the application number on the back, but I only noticed that the instructions were different in those two places after the photos had already been signed with the application number (but not dated).

I was also unsure about whether to provide marriage certificates if they weren't needed to confirm a change of name. The checklist begins with this text in caps indicating all the listed documents are required, not optional...
ALL OF THE LISTED DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION
...and then states:
Original civil marriage certificate (if married)
But on the list of required documents on the DFA website, it states:
Original civil marriage certificate (if applicable)
I am married, but my name hasn't changed from how it appears on my birth certificate, so is the marriage certificate required if married (I am married) or required only if applicable (to show change of name, which is not applicable for me)? I suspect it would only be required if I needed to demonstrate a change of name, but I don't know how strict the requirements are and whether it's better to err on the side caution by sending additional documents to cover all eventualities...

How have others approached this?
There's a lot of conflicting language all over the DFA website unfortunately. For the marriage certificate I puzzled over that as well. In the end, I sent the marriage certificate despite the fact that my name did not change after getting married. Seems like the best idea is to send everything you have and avoid having to wait if they ask for it later on.

MrMister2022
Newly Registered

Post by MrMister2022 » Tue May 31, 2022 3:57 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:19 pm
There's a lot of conflicting language all over the DFA website unfortunately. For the marriage certificate I puzzled over that as well. In the end, I sent the marriage certificate despite the fact that my name did not change after getting married. Seems like the best idea is to send everything you have and avoid having to wait if they ask for it later on.
Thanks for the advice, that certainly seems like the the best way to be sure. I have my application sealed in an envelope but I may open it and add in my marriage certificate, just in case. No sense in risking additional delays beyond the current timeline.

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Tue May 31, 2022 7:17 pm

Any March 2020 approvals at all yet ?

I’ve Just past the 26 month marker last week. Interested if anyone is on the same timeline as myself

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Tue May 31, 2022 7:54 pm

Haven't seen any. I think the latest I have seen is an 11th Feb date :|

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Tue May 31, 2022 9:55 pm

I have only seen 1 x Feb2020 success so far.

DRodgers
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by DRodgers » Tue May 31, 2022 11:03 pm

MKCG wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:17 pm

I’ve Just past the 26 month marker last week. Interested if anyone is on the same timeline as myself
My “application received” email arrived in my inbox 14/02/20, hoping for news soon

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Tue May 31, 2022 11:29 pm

I thought I would add my timeline detail as it might help others in the future:

Application Date: 15th January 2020
Documents Received: 27th January 2020
Address Confirmation: 9th May 2022
Congratulations Email: 30th May 2022

My process was slightly longer as I am step-parent adopted (the adopter has the Irish-born parent). Due to this, in 2019, I had to register my adoption on the Irish Register of Intercountry Adoptions (RICA) which is another slightly complicated process. Once on the RICA I was provided with a certificate which I included in my FBR application. Even though I provided my adoption certificate (Certified Copy of an Entry) in place of a birth certificate, when processing my application I was asked to clarify the relationship with my parents i.e. which are my birth parents, which I did by providing scans of my adoption court order.

I remember asking questions about this back in 2017 and due to needing documents from my family for the RICA part, I procrastinated. At least it's completed now! :)

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:13 am

JohnFBR wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:55 pm
I have only seen 1 x Feb2020 success so far.
I believe there's been 2 or 3 from early Feb 2020 at this point.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:16 am

DRodgers wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:03 pm
MKCG wrote:

My “application received” email arrived in my inbox 14/02/20, hoping for news soon
Same here, 02/14/20. It's appears they are still working on end of January/beginning of Feb applications at the moment.

teacaddy
Newly Registered

Post by teacaddy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:40 am

MKCG wrote:

I'm a 10th Feb 2020 applicant, checking my emails daily (well actually hourly... ok if I'm honest every time I pick up my phone!). It can't be too long now, surely?

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:32 am

i applied online march 2020 but my documents didn’t get to ireland until the end of may 2020. also checking email constantly. i’ve tweeted, i’ve web chatted, i’ve emailed-hell, i’ve even handwritten a letter. my fiancé and i are separated from living together legally without this. time is a tickin!!

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 am

jjustyy wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:29 pm

My process was slightly longer as I am step-parent adopted (the adopter has the Irish-born parent). Due to this, in 2019, I had to register my adoption on the Irish Register of Intercountry Adoptions (RICA) which is another slightly complicated process. Once on the RICA I was provided with a certificate which I included in my FBR application. Even though I provided my adoption certificate (Certified Copy of an Entry) in place of a birth certificate, when processing my application I was asked to clarify the relationship with my parents i.e. which are my birth parents, which I did by providing scans of my adoption court order.

I remember asking questions about this back in 2017 and due to needing documents from my family for the RICA part, I procrastinated. At least it's completed now! :)
It is good to hear of success with applications that are not regular or straightforward.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:34 am

teacaddy wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:40 am

I'm a 10th Feb 2020 applicant, checking my emails daily (well actually hourly... ok if I'm honest every time I pick up my phone!). It can't be too long now, surely?
I'm exactly the same, halfway between excited and wishing it was over :)

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:46 am

ripforreallldo wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:32 am
i applied online march 2020 but my documents didn’t get to ireland until the end of may 2020. also checking email constantly. i’ve tweeted, i’ve web chatted, i’ve emailed-hell, i’ve even handwritten a letter. my fiancé and i are separated from living together legally without this. time is a tickin!!
That is really rubbish. It really sucks when you have your life on hold until this comes through. I can semi relate to the life on hold part but not to the extent of being without my partner until it happens. Sounds like COVID threw a really unneeded time delay between application and docs received.

It did the same for me. Application in July and docs not received until December. Bloody COVID.

SrMcNix
Newly Registered
Bermuda

Post by SrMcNix » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:12 pm

jjustyy wrote:

Did they ask your for clarifying info on your parents before or after you received your confirmation of address?

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:40 pm

SrMcNix wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:12 pm
jjustyy wrote:

Did they ask your for clarifying info on your parents before or after you received your confirmation of address?
It was at the start of processing when they ask for missing documents. Once they were happy they asked me to confirm my address.

Ayla
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Ayla » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:23 am

Hi everyone! I'm a bit unclear on what I'm going to need to submit.

My grandfather and grandmother were born on the island, so I know I can submit their documents to get on the FBR. However, my father recently received his Irish passport through claiming his citizenship (he was born in the USA). Am I able to use his documents for my application, or do I need to use my grandparents'?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:09 pm

Ayla wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:23 am
Hi everyone! I'm a bit unclear on what I'm going to need to submit.

My grandfather and grandmother were born on the island, so I know I can submit their documents to get on the FBR. However, my father recently received his Irish passport through claiming his citizenship (he was born in the USA). Am I able to use his documents for my application, or do I need to use my grandparents'?
You will be claiming Irish citizenship through a grandparent in your case. Your father as the child of someone born in Ireland, is automatically an Irish citizen no matter where he is born. Since he was born outside of Ireland, you need to apply to the FBR.

Sounds like you should read through the docs on the DFA website. All the information is there.

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/

Jbb718
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Jbb718 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:56 pm

Hello all. I submitted an online application for my first child last summer. Our second child was just born and we submitted her application online last week. I am posting all required documents for both applications tomorrow. I didn’t previously send documents for the first child’s application as I need to send my own FBR certificate as one of the documents, and of course only have one of them, and the local embassy recommended that I wait and send the applications together.

Anyway, I’m wondering where the applications will fall in the FBR office’s queue. Will we get the benefit of the fact that I applied online for child #1 last summer, or is the date they receive documents dispositive? Either way is fine, I’m just curious about how their priority list works and am excited. Thanks!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:32 am

Jbb718 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:56 pm
Hello all. I submitted an online application for my first child last summer. Our second child was just born and we submitted her application online last week. I am posting all required documents for both applications tomorrow. I didn’t previously send documents for the first child’s application as I need to send my own FBR certificate as one of the documents, and of course only have one of them, and the local embassy recommended that I wait and send the applications together.

Anyway, I’m wondering where the applications will fall in the FBR office’s queue. Will we get the benefit of the fact that I applied online for child #1 last summer, or is the date they receive documents dispositive? Either way is fine, I’m just curious about how their priority list works and am excited. Thanks!
That's awesome to get both kids on the FBR right away when they are little! Not sure if it's different in the case of a dual application, but I believe the rule has always been under normal circumstances that you're not in the queue until the documents arrive. Either way, I'm sure they'll both thank you for it when they're older!

rduncan22
Newly Registered

Post by rduncan22 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:47 am

Does anyone know how long it’s taking to process one month’s applications? Starting to think I still have another year of waiting yet 😅

HPFA
Newly Registered

Post by HPFA » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:56 am

Couple of bits of info in the latest questions to the Minister concerned.

Still claiming that the process will be "scaled up" with the recruitment of additional resources - however this line has been spun since January.

Makes reference to an application being received in December 2020 and held in a "secure environment" for all those of us who never had confirmation of documents received.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 05-04/222/

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 06-01/127/