ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual National - Passport name issue

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aslj
Newly Registered

Dual National - Passport name issue

Post by aslj » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:44 am

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone who has been through a similar issue can advise me.

I applied for British citizenship through naturalisation (as a Russian national through birth) on the 28th June 2022. I am still awaiting the decision, however I have lived in the UK since 2005 and meet all requirements so I expect my application will be approved.

I have since been informed by my naturalisation case worker that I won't be able to apply for a British passport due to the name discrepancy (should I be approved and receive a certificate).

After looking into the laws surrounding this (and on this forum) I found there are name exception rules ('Exceptions to our ‘use of names in passports policy') by Gov.org.

However, I am not sure if these are relevant for my case.
I am pre-emptively trying to find the best course of action on how I can fix this mess.

Context :
In 2011 my parents had my name changed by deed poll in England, however my Russian passport was never updated.

I don't understand Russian (reading/writing/speaking) because I have lived in the UK since I was 4 years old in an English speaking household.

It's a very volatile and a dangerous country currently at war. I cannot travel to the country to change my last name in my Russian passport because of this. Even if I could travel, I cannot understand the language to fill in any legal documents to start the name change.

I have rang the London Consulate to see whether I could change my last name in my Russian passport through them (they luckily had an English option over the phone). They flagged the full process takes at least 7 months, I'd need my English deed poll officially translated to Russian and I'd have to come into the embassy to complete documents - which are only available in Russian.

Overall, it's a very long, complicated and expensive process. Part of the reason I applied for British Citizenship is because I do not stand with what the Russian government are doing to Ukraine. A quick look at the Russian Consulate's Twitter account shows propaganda etc. for their current war.

Once I receive my certificate, I will no longer have my BRP and may be stuck for years without any travel documents.

Any advice on my case - or what I could use as proof for exemption would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also be interested to know whether I'd have the option to officially renounce my Russian citizenship so I would not have the issue of 2 names. However, from what I understand, this wouldn't be a fix - as I have to send in my foreign passport alongside my naturalisation certificate to the Home Office when I apply for my first British Passport.

Thanks in advance!

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Dual National - Passport name issue

Post by manci » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:19 pm

aslj wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:44 am
After looking into the laws surrounding this (and on this forum) I found there are name exception rules ('Exceptions to our ‘use of names in passports policy') by Gov.org. However, I am not sure if these are relevant for my case.
Yes, they are, see p15:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... uments.pdf
aslj wrote:
I have rang the London Consulate to see whether I could change my last name in my Russian passport through them (they luckily had an English option over the phone). They flagged the full process takes at least 7 months, I'd need my English deed poll officially translated to Russian and I'd have to come into the embassy to complete documents - which are only available in Russian.
This seems to be the most practical option
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

aslj
Newly Registered

Post by aslj » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:07 am

manci wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:19 pm
aslj wrote:
After looking into the laws surrounding this (and on this forum) I found there are name exception rules ('Exceptions to our ‘use of names in passports policy') by Gov.org. However, I am not sure if these are relevant for my case.
Yes, they are, see p15:
aslj wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Whilst I agree that it's the most practical option for the majority of nationals - I cannot speak/read/write the language, I only understand English.

I appreciate that this is my own problem - however how can the Home Office expect me to complete Russian documents for this name change when I cannot physically understand/communicate?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:14 am

aslj wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:07 am
complete Russian documents for this name change when I cannot physically understand/communicate?
Staff at the consulate are likely to speak English but you could also take a Russian speaker with you to help filling in the application form for the name change.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:08 am

aslj wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:07 am
manci wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:19 pm
aslj wrote:
Yes, they are, see p15:
aslj wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Whilst I agree that it's the most practical option for the majority of nationals - I cannot speak/read/write the language, I only understand English.

I appreciate that this is my own problem - however how can the Home Office expect me to complete Russian documents for this name change when I cannot physically understand/communicate?
No embassy in the UK is that horrible. These are educated people. They speak English I guarantee you that much. They might have an accent, but they are diplomats and this is their jobs.

Try seeing solutions and not problems. The only way forward in this dilemma, is to take the bull by the horn.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!