ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transit visa Germany for Indian passport holder

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

albert_rajan
Newly Registered

Transit visa Germany for Indian passport holder

Post by albert_rajan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:36 pm

Hello all,

My wife is travelling to India from UK, she is an Indian passpor holder with an ILR visa in the UK. Her tickets were booked via Lufthansa which means she has to transit via Germany to India. I am trying to find answers to the below please:
1. Does she need a transit visa? She is not exiting the airport nor is she changing the terminal so I am unsure if she needs to get a transit visa
2. If she does require a visa, does she need a Schengen visa or transit visa? Both her travels (onward and return) is via Germany, therefore we are unsure if the transit visa will cover both travels.

Your advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Albert

meself2
Ireland

Re: Transit visa Germany for Indian passport holder

Post by meself2 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:40 pm

depends on the airport
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/visa ... sit/606710
not sure how in date this is but here are the extracts:
Only five airports in Germany have an International Transit Area enabling you to transit without formally entering the Schengen area:

Frankfurt/Main
Munich
Hamburg (4.30 a.m. - 11.30 p.m. only)
Düsseldorf (6.00 a.m. - 9.00 p.m. only) and if the airline has arranged the transit beforehand with the authorities responsible for cross-border security (the Federal Police)
Berlin-Brandenburg
Nationals of the following countries do not have the transit privilege and therefore require an airport transit visa (category A) for transit at a German airport:

India
you might want to check with German foreign ministry, maybe UK ILR holders are exempt
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:41 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:40 pm
you might want to check with German foreign ministry, maybe UK ILR holders are exempt
nope
https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/visa/airpo ... as/2442170
Since the end of the transition phase and the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, UK visas and residence permits do not exempt their holders from airport transit requirements. Nationals of the countries listed above now require airport transit visas even if they hold a visa or residence permit for the UK.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

albert_rajan
Newly Registered

Post by albert_rajan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:43 pm

Thank you - do I need a multiple transit visa or a Schengen visa in order to cover both the travel?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:46 pm

albert_rajan wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:43 pm
Thank you - do I need a multiple transit visa or a Schengen visa in order to cover both the travel?
yes, it'll be multiple (or even 2 entries, I think choice on Schengen visa is 1 entry/2 entries/multiple so go for the second one)
if she goes through one of 5 airports mentioned in designated times and all the rest, as mentioned above - transit visa
otherwise she would have to go into Schengen area - Schengen visa

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:33 am

albert_rajan wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:36 pm
Hello all,

My wife is travelling to India from UK, she is an Indian passpor holder with an ILR visa in the UK. Her tickets were booked via Lufthansa which means she has to transit via Germany to India. I am trying to find answers to the below please:
1. Does she need a transit visa? She is not exiting the airport nor is she changing the terminal so I am unsure if she needs to get a transit visa
2. If she does require a visa, does she need a Schengen visa or transit visa? Both her travels (onward and return) is via Germany, therefore we are unsure if the transit visa will cover both travels.

Your advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Albert
Further to @meself2, you do require a transit visa to route through any EU country (If your passport doesn't allow visa free travel). Schengen visa might not exactly cut it. Don't quote me on this, but I doubt if your spouse would get a Schengen multiple entry visa just to route through Germany.
That would mean the visa extends throughout her stay in India and back to the UK. Those guys are not that generous with their visa issuance.
Most people avoid travelling through Europe now because of these encumbrances.

With transit, if you get a multiple entry all good, if not (single entry), she might need to go through the process again when she gets to India.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

albert_rajan
Newly Registered

Post by albert_rajan » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:28 am

Great! Thanks all for the amazing response.