ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employment details - Should I mention self employed when in full time employment?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

farazk86
Pakistan

Employment details - Should I mention self employed when in full time employment?

Post by farazk86 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:30 pm

Hi,

I am in full time employment and have already mentioned that I am in full time eployment, name of my employer and my PAYE tax number from my P60.

But I did some delivery jobs with deliveroo and uber eats in March/April and have some earnings from that.

I also have an app that generated some money for me in April. But I have not had payments from these sources to my NI number since then. So its not a full time self employed thing.

Also I understand that I have to submit tax returns for these sources of income but I intend to do that at end of financial year, so nothing has been submitted for these additional earnings from my side to gov.uk

So my question is, should I mention self employed here?

And since I have not submitted self assessment forms for these additional sources of income.. will I get in trouble in regards to my naturalization application? Should I submit my tax forms for these additional incomes that I got before I submit my naturalization application?

Thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Employment details - Should I mention self employed when in full time employment?

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:50 pm

Hi,
If your self-employment started in the last financial year (finishing in April 2022) you need to register for self-employment and declare what you earned in that financial year. The Home Office will want your most up-to-date self assessment returns for naturalisation application.
My assumption is this won't be a lot of money, but if you don't declare it it would be tax evasion, which certainly wouldn't help your application if it came to light. Contact HMRC https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... assessment and work out what the best thing to do is. It doesn't matter that you're not self-employed full time (or how many hours you work self-employed compared to your employed job), you are self-employed.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

farazk86
Pakistan

Re: Employment details - Should I mention self employed when in full time employment?

Post by farazk86 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:30 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:50 pm
Hi,
If your self-employment started in the last financial year (finishing in April 2022) you need to register for self-employment and declare what you earned in that financial year. The Home Office will want your most up-to-date self assessment returns for naturalisation application.
My assumption is this won't be a lot of money, but if you don't declare it it would be tax evasion, which certainly wouldn't help your application if it came to light. Contact HMRC https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... assessment and work out what the best thing to do is. It doesn't matter that you're not self-employed full time (or how many hours you work self-employed compared to your employed job), you are self-employed.
Thank you. I'll do that then before submitting my application

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm

Consider that it takes a couple of weeks for HMRC to register you for self-assessment, so I would start inquiring with some advance. The advisors are helpful and I found it a fairly straightforward process (I am also full time employed and self employed).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

te23

Post by te23 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:29 pm

The yearly allowance is £1,000. You only need to register for self-assessment if you earn more than this amount in a tax year.

te23

Post by te23 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:30 pm

farazk86
Pakistan

Post by farazk86 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:26 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:50 pm
Hi,
Thank you for your helpful reply.
My earnings from my app online started generating in March of 2022 but I was not paid until April 28, 2022 for my March earnings.

I called HMRC and they said that we take into consideration the date money is paid into account not when they were generated so that brings me into this tax year (as HMRC mentioned that new tax year started on April 08, 2022).

Do I still need to mention self employed on the naturalization application? For safe side I selected self-employed and in required documents I am asked to upload my most recent tax return for my self employed earnings. Which I dont have as this financial year is still on-going

Since I can submit the text return for this year until April 2023, is it safe for me not select self-employed?

Thank you
te23 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:29 pm
The yearly allowance is £1,000. You only need to register for self-assessment if you earn more than this amount in a tax year.
Thank you, but unfortunately the amount I got paid is little above the £1000 mark :(

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:51 pm

If your self employment started this tax year and you are applying before the end of this tax year, select "not self employed" and explain briefly in the cover letter.

farazk86
Pakistan

Post by farazk86 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:53 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:51 pm
If your self employment started this tax year and you are applying before the end of this tax year, select "not self employed" and explain briefly in the cover letter.
Will do. Thank you for your guidance :)

farazk86
Pakistan

Clarification needed for required document of proof of living in UK?

Post by farazk86 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:06 am

Hi all,

I'm now at the document submission stage and have a question regarding this.

For the required document:
"Proof of living in the UK for Mr farazk86 for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen"
I understand that my passport is enough, but at the document upload stage should I scan all pages of my passport and upload or will physical passport need to be submitted at biometric stage?

5 years back will span 2 passports as I renewed my passport in 2019, so would that require me to scan all pages of both passports and submit?

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Clarification needed for required document of proof of living in UK?

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:02 am

farazk86 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:06 am
Hi all,

"Proof of living in the UK for Mr farazk86 for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen"
I understand that my passport is enough, but at the document upload stage should I scan all pages of my passport and upload or will physical passport need to be submitted at biometric stage? Scan and upload all, no physical passport is submitted

5 years back will span 2 passports as I renewed my passport in 2019, so would that require me to scan all pages of both passports and submit? Scan all or pages containing immigration history relevant to UK.

Thanks

farazk86
Pakistan

Re: Clarification needed for required document of proof of living in UK?

Post by farazk86 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:27 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:02 am
farazk86 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:06 am
Hi all,

I understand that my passport is enough, but at the document upload stage should I scan all pages of my passport and upload or will physical passport need to be submitted at biometric stage? Scan and upload all, no physical passport is submitted

5 years back will span 2 passports as I renewed my passport in 2019, so would that require me to scan all pages of both passports and submit? Scan all or pages containing immigration history relevant to UK.

Thanks
Many thanks AmazonianX for your helpful replies :)