ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are graduate visas exclusively eVisas ?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamoe

Are graduate visas exclusively eVisas ?

Post by kamoe » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am

From the documentation I have seen, it seems these are granted as eVisas? Can anyone confirm? If so, how does it work for travel? Can anyone with first hand-experience confirm if:

1. The Graduate visa is exclusively an electronic visa, and nothing physically is stamped/pasted/no BRP card issued in physical form.
2. If 1 is correct... how do you travel abroad and come back? (Airlines are usually reluctant to let you board unless you show a physical document proving your right to enter/remain in the UK)

I'm really curious about this, as I am interested in following the transition to eVisas, given the many issues and some negative impact the electronic Settled status has had on EU citizens.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Are graduate visas exclusively eVisas ?

Post by Ticktack » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:39 am

kamoe wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am
From the documentation I have seen, it seems these are granted as eVisas? Can anyone confirm? If so, how does it work for travel? Can anyone with first hand-experience confirm if:

1. The Graduate visa is exclusively an electronic visa, and nothing physically is stamped/pasted/no BRP card issued in physical form.
2. If 1 is correct... how do you travel abroad and come back? (Airlines are usually reluctant to let you board unless you show a physical document proving your right to enter/remain in the UK)

I'm really curious about this, as I am interested in following the transition to eVisas, given the many issues and some negative impact the electronic Settled status has had on EU citizens.
This would invariably cause unknown hardship to Non-EU citizens or visa nationals in general. It might not be so much of a problem in the western world. But travelling to Africa and back is sure going to create untold hardship.
There are overzealous airline staff out there.
A bit off point, I have a friend (British) who resides in Amsterdam. He flew to Nigeria from Amsterdam . On his way back to Amsterdam, he naturally presented his British passport. The airline staff asked if he was resident there. To which he replied yes. They insisted on seeing his resident permit.
Naturally, he argued he didn't need to show them nothing.
To cut the long story short, he had to show them as they were refusing to board him.

Some folks have a one track mind. They would delay you unnecessarily based on their ignorance.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:35 am

Some get BRPs and some don't. BRP are being phased out by December 2024 anyway.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:22 pm

I work with two freshly graduated PhD who recently applied for the graduate visa and they received BRP cards.

In both cases the card is valid until 30/12/2024.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:56 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:22 pm
I work with two freshly graduated PhD who recently applied for the graduate visa and they received BRP cards.
Thanks, this is insightful. Makes sense that they still issue at least some BRPs, specially for visa nationals. I don't see it working otherwise.
In both cases the card is valid until 30/12/2024.
I know also that Tier 2 work permits are being phased out, and new ones all expire on 30/12/2024 regardless of the validity of the visa itself.

I am really interested to see how they implement this with the wider network abroad in 2025. Will airlines be able to check people's immigration status? They shouldn't have that kind of access, that's scary! So... are policies going to change so that airlines will no longer be fined if allowing non-authorised people on planes? And thus, are they going to start allowing everyone to board a plane? Stay tuned!
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:25 pm

I'd expect something with share codes would be given, same as right to work/etc, but yea, lots of caveats.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:10 pm

meself2 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:25 pm
I'd expect something with share codes would be given, same as right to work/etc, but yea, lots of caveats.
Exactly. This is indeed how it appears to work for those on a graduate visa who don't get a BRP, but that is exactly the problem many people have faced on other routes. Airlines don't accept share codes as of today, so if you do not have a BRP you can't board the plane. Or sometimes the system fails, or sometimes it shows the right information but in a way that is not accepted by the person or institution verifying (names swapped, or including abbreviations, in a way that doesn't match the person's passport., etc.) Relying on digital-only puts many people at risk, as shows the article I shared above.

Thanks everyone. (Hope this is sorted by 2025, although the Home Office has not been precisely known for being thoughtful about these things.)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:24 am

kamoe wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am
From the documentation I have seen, it seems these are granted as eVisas? Can anyone confirm?
Not sure what documentation you are looking at, but it's clear from the the application portal that some people get a BRP:

https://www.gov.uk/graduate-visa/apply

Proving your immigration status with a Graduate visa

[...]

If you’re given a BRP when your application is approved, you can also use that BRP to prove your right to live and work in the UK.

See also the Graduate route guidance, page 17:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _route.pdf

The applicant will receive an e-mail confirming their digital status and this will include a PDF of their decision letter. [...]

Visa nationals will also receive a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

A visa national means anyone on this list:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ional-list
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:06 am

sah10406 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:24 am
Not sure what documentation you are looking at
It was this document, but I think I came across it a while ago before the application portal was actually in place. Sure, up-to date site is more useful :)
For the vast majority of applicants, the process will be entirely digital, and if your application is successful, you will be issued with an eVisa.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:53 am

kamoe wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:06 am
For the vast majority of applicants, the process will be entirely digital, and if your application is successful, you will be issued with an eVisa.
To be fair, it did not change. It confirms in that same paragraph:

If you are a citizen of any [visa national country], you will also be issued with a BRP for use when travelling in and out of the UK.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:49 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:53 am
kamoe wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:06 am
To be fair, it did not change. It confirms in that same paragraph:

If you are a citizen of any [visa national country], you will also be issued with a BRP for use when travelling in and out of the UK.
Thanks! Missed that somehow. The document really shouldn't say most people won't get a BRP, if visa nationals are supposed to get a BRP!!!

Anyway, many thanks for highlighting.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:19 am

kamoe wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:49 pm
The document really shouldn't say most people won't get a BRP, if visa nationals are supposed to get a BRP!!!
It doesn't say that though. It says most people (in fact everyone) gets an eVisa, which is true and is all they need for proving their right to work.

Separately, visa nationals "also" get a BRP to facilitate easier re-entry into the UK after travel overseas.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:00 pm

True, it doesn't actually say no BRP, but it implies it. It does say that for most people "the process will be entirely digital", then that eVisas will be issued. Easily misinterpreted, specially since that's how the EU Settlement Scheme works.

Once again, thanks for clarifying.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:40 am

kamoe wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:00 pm
It does say that for most people "the process will be entirely digital", then that eVisas will be issued.
I fear we are still at cross purposes...

Everyone does get an eVisa, which is all they will need for work purposes. It's just some people also get a BRP for travel purposes.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:14 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:40 am
kamoe wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:00 pm
It does say that for most people "the process will be entirely digital", then that eVisas will be issued.
Everyone does get an eVisa, which is all they will need for work purposes. It's just some people also get a BRP for travel purposes.
Yes, not saying otherwise. :)