ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual-citizenship question

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

infoseeker
Newly Registered

Dual-citizenship question

Post by infoseeker » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi,

I'm irish-born and therefore an irish citizen and passport holder. however i have also spent a number of years living in australia during which time i went through the naturalization process and became a citizen and passport holder there

I am wondering if on my green card lottery application i can register myself as an australian citizen as opposed to irish? secondly, if i was to register as irish would i still be able to apply for an e-3 visa as an australian in the future? in other words if you apply for a US visa as a citizen of one country do you then have to apply as a citizen of that country for all subsequent visa applications?

apologies for the rambling query. thanks in advance for any feedback

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:28 pm

For DV-Lottery purposes, it's based on birthplace (or spouse's birthplace). So you normally register as Irish.

E-3 is a temporary visa, so you can apply based on your (Australian) passport.

If you subsequently go for a green card, again they look at birthplace.

infoseeker
Newly Registered

Post by infoseeker » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:29 pm

JAJ wrote:For DV-Lottery purposes, it's based on birthplace (or spouse's birthplace). So you normally register as Irish.

thanks a lot for the quick response. so just to clarify i could enter the green card lottery as an irish citizen and (assuming im not successful in the lottery) at some point in the future apply for an e-3 as an australian citizen? sorry i'm just being ultra-cautious as i don't want to jeopardise my elgibility for an e-3 down the line. thanks

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:10 pm

infoseeker wrote: thanks a lot for the quick response. so just to clarify i could enter the green card lottery as an irish citizen and (assuming im not successful in the lottery) at some point in the future apply for an e-3 as an australian citizen? sorry i'm just being ultra-cautious as i don't want to jeopardise my elgibility for an e-3 down the line. thanks
I believe so. And in any case, you wouldn't be entering the lottery as an Irish citizen as such, but rather as a person who was born in Ireland (not quite the same thing!).

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:42 pm

JAJ wrote:For DV-Lottery purposes, it's based on birthplace (or spouse's birthplace). So you normally register as Irish.

It doesn't really go by birthplace. It goes by citizenship.

I think I read somewhere that they consider residency, so if you are a citizen of a country not eligible, but you can prove you've been resident in another country for a significant period of time, you can actually apply from that country. Not 100% positive. And if it is the case, I'm sure you will have to prove it.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:10 am

iamwhoever wrote:

I think I read somewhere that they consider residency, so if you are a citizen of a country not eligible, but you can prove you've been resident in another country for a significant period of time, you can actually apply from that country. Not 100% positive. And if it is the case, I'm sure you will have to prove it.
If you are talking about the DV Lottery, you are completely wrong.

Citizenship is irrelevant.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:52 am

JAJ wrote:
iamwhoever wrote:

If you are talking about the DV Lottery, you are completely wrong.

Citizenship is irrelevant.
I agree, be very careful when listing your country of eligibility (or chargeability). It is normally your country of birth. If you list Australia as your country of eligibility you will most likely be denied an immigrant visa if you were selected in the DV lottery.