ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

28 days rule for British citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kali2023
India

28 days rule for British citizenship?

Post by kali2023 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:07 pm

Hi,

I got my ILR on 14th Feb 2022. Can I apply in 28 days before 14th Feb 2023 for my BC application process?

I saw a similar query posted back in 2013, so just enquiring again to see if something has been changed by now.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 28 days rule for British citizenship?

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:27 pm

Can I apply in 28 days before 14th Feb 2023 for my BC application process?
No you cannot. There is no '28 days early' concession for citizenship applications and there never has been. You must have held ILR for the full 12 months before you can apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: 28 days rule for British citizenship?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:40 am

The 28 days earlier concession applies to immigration applications made under the Immigration Rules. The immigration pathway ends at ILR.

A naturalisation application is not an immigration application, but one under different laws (the British Nationality Act 1981) and has different requirements. Do not assume that the same rules and requirements for ILR will extend to naturalisation.

You will need to complete the full year after ILR and meet the other relevant absence and physical presence requirements based on the date of application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.