ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Triple citizenship: Dutch + UK + non-EU

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

turing
Newly Registered
Russia

Triple citizenship: Dutch + UK + non-EU

Post by turing » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:53 pm

Dear all

Could you advise me on the following situation?

I'm a non-EU national married to a Dutch citizen and currently live in the UK.

1. I'm planning to get my UK citizenship in the next few months and keep my non-EU citizenship.
2. After that, I'm going to apply for Dutch citizenship based on the fact of marriage to a Dutch national. As I am married to a Dutch national I would be able to keep my UK and non-EU citizenship - i.e. to hold 3 passports.
3. My wife is going to apply for UK citizenship based on the fact that she is married to a British Citizen and she can keep her Dutch citizenship.

Can you see any flaws in this plan and why it would not work?

Thank you!

meself2
Ireland

Re: Triple citizenship: Dutch + UK + non-EU

Post by meself2 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:16 pm

No issues with (I assume) nonEU and British.

I've heard Dutch citizenship might require you to renounce past nationality, but there are exceptions when married: consult Dutch website for that.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

turing
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by turing » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:16 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:16 pm
No issues with (I assume) nonEU and British.

I've heard Dutch citizenship might require you to renounce past nationality, but there are exceptions when married: consult Dutch website for that.
Yes, the Dutch citizenship is very tricky and hence the question here.
What Dutch website do you have in mind to check?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:29 pm

turing wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:16 pm
Going by https://ind.nl/en/renouncing-your-nationality ,
After naturalisation or option procedure you do not have to renounce your nationality in the following situations:

You are married to a Dutch citizen. Or you are the registered partner of a Dutch citizen.
So you should be fine with steps 1 and 2.

As mentioned by a forum user who is Dutch here british-citizenship/length-of-time-befo ... 34887.html ,
vhb1982 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:07 pm
the Dutch have added an exception few years ago to allow acquiring another citizenship if you are married to someone that has that citizenship.
Looking into it further, we can consult https://ind.nl/en/dutch-citizenship/los ... ationality , which states:
As an adult, you will lose your Dutch nationality in the following situations:
[..]
You voluntarily adopt a different nationality. In this case, you will automatically lose your Dutch nationality. This happens if you live abroad, but also if you live in the Netherlands. There are 3 exceptions to this, in which you will not lose your Dutch nationality:
You were born in the country where you are now adopting the nationality. You will also live in that country when you get the new nationality.
You lived in the country of the different nationality for at least 5 consecutive years before you became an adult.
You adopt the nationality of your partner. And you are married or have a registered partnership with each other.
So step 3 should be fine as well.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

turing
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by turing » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:00 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:29 pm
turing wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:16 pm
Going by https://ind.nl/en/renouncing-your-nationality ,
After naturalisation or option procedure you do not have to renounce your nationality in the following situations:

You are married to a Dutch citizen. Or you are the registered partner of a Dutch citizen.
So you should be fine with steps 1 and 2.

As mentioned by a forum user who is Dutch here british-citizenship/length-of-time-befo ... 34887.html ,
vhb1982 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:07 pm
the Dutch have added an exception few years ago to allow acquiring another citizenship if you are married to someone that has that citizenship.
Looking into it further, we can consult https://ind.nl/en/dutch-citizenship/los ... ationality , which states:
As an adult, you will lose your Dutch nationality in the following situations:
[..]
You voluntarily adopt a different nationality. In this case, you will automatically lose your Dutch nationality. This happens if you live abroad, but also if you live in the Netherlands. There are 3 exceptions to this, in which you will not lose your Dutch nationality:
You were born in the country where you are now adopting the nationality. You will also live in that country when you get the new nationality.
You lived in the country of the different nationality for at least 5 consecutive years before you became an adult.
You adopt the nationality of your partner. And you are married or have a registered partnership with each other.
So step 3 should be fine as well.
This is what I was hoping for but just in case if there are any concerns I have to consider?
It would be great if someone can share their experience as being in a similar situation in the past?