ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a refugee visit his country of Nationality on compasionate grounds?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rubabakhtar5
Pakistan

Can a refugee visit his country of Nationality on compasionate grounds?

Post by Rubabakhtar5 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:54 pm

Hi
Can a refugee go to his country of Nationality to see her dying father on compasionate grounds?
If yes, where and how can she apply for permission from Home Office.
Please reply me who has knowledge or has experience. I am very much upset that my father is dying and he got only a few days due to lung cancer.
I want to see my father last time.
Please help me in this regard.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon guys.

secret.simon

Re: Can a refugee visit his country of Nationality on compasionate grounds?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:17 pm

Is it safe for you to visit your country of nationality?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:47 pm

You asked exactly the same question just over a year ago and then he had very little time left??

general-uk-immigration-forum/refugee-go ... l#p2055634
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:44 pm

Rubabakhtar5 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:54 pm
Hi
Can a refugee go to his country of Nationality to see her dying father on compasionate grounds?
If yes, where and how can she apply for permission from Home Office.
Please reply me who has knowledge or has experience. I am very much upset that my father is dying and he got only a few days due to lung cancer.
I want to see my father last time.
Please help me in this regard.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon guys.
It is absolutely fine to visit your home country for once or twice during the 5 years leave to remain as a refugee on compassionate grounds.As your father is ill which is a valid reason to go and visit him.The home office law & law of the UN refugee convention on this is very clear which is that in compassionate circumstances a refugee can visit their home country .If you take permission from home office you will be fine .I know some refugees who have visited their home country with home office permission.Some people will comment here against this without any clear knowledge of law,you better ignore them ,take permission and visit your father .Don't scare .Hope you go ahead and meet your father.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 pm

Not an expert on the laws governing refugee travel/visits/compassion, but out of interest, what protection has the refugee from being targeted by their home country authorities/others, when visiting their home country, in relation to events that led to him/her becoming a refugee?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:29 am

Can I visit my home country after asylum?
You could, in a very few set of special circumstances, be granted permission to visit your home country, but you will have to apply in writing to the Home Office for this exception. The circumstances of your individual case for travelling to your home country, and also regarding your asylum in the UK, will be reviewed to consider whether you should be granted exceptional permission to travel.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:51 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 pm
Not an expert on the laws governing refugee travel/visits/compassion, but out of interest, what protection has the refugee from being targeted by their home country authorities/others, when visiting their home country, in relation to events that led to him/her becoming a refugee?
On another forum, a university reported that a student refugee went on holiday to visit her family in a third country, Tunisia. She was taken against her will back to Libya by her father. She has been locked up for eight months and abused. Her travel documents were taken. She fears she will be forced into marriage. She has LTR as an refugee until 2024. The UK authorities cannot help because she isn’t British.

What can be done?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.