ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizen living in Ireland visting UK with non-EU spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mrworld9

British citizen living in Ireland visting UK with non-EU spouse

Post by mrworld9 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:11 am

Hi all,

I am a British citizen living in Ireland with non-EU spouse who has a permanent residence through the Withdrawal Agreement. We are planning to visit UK during the Easter period and I'm wondering if she needs a UK visa before we can travel together.

Please note that we travelled to the UK in 2018 without her needing a visa but I'm wondering if anything has changed since BREXIT.

I read only that the CTA (Common Travel Agreement) which British citizens still enjoy even after BREXIT does not cover their non-EU spouses. Based on that information, I applied for a 6-month visa for her yesterday and also booked an appointment with the Visa Application Center (TLS). Btw, those TLS people can rip you off!!

However, I stil would like to be enlightened by the knowledgeable people in the house if it was right for her to apply for UK visa OR if she can still travel to the UK without visa, especially when we will be travelling together. I would appreciate any official links that corroborate the facts.

Thank you in anticipation of your advice.
Life is a journey.........

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British citizen living in Ireland visting UK with non-EU spouse

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:22 am

mrworld9 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:11 am
non-EU spouse who has a permanent residence through the Withdrawal Agreement.
What is this exactly? EU Settled Status in the UK?
If she hold a valid EUSS under UK immigration rules then no visa required.
If not .... UK is now a 3rd country in relation to the EU and visa nationals need a visitor visa to enter the UK.
CTA is for British and Irish nationals only.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alan1973
Ireland

Post by alan1973 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:33 am

mrworld9 wrote:
Hi all,

I am a British citizen living in Ireland with non-EU spouse who has a permanent residence through the Withdrawal Agreement. We are planning to visit UK during the Easter period and I'm wondering if she needs a UK visa before we can travel together.

Please note that we travelled to the UK in 2018 without her needing a visa but I'm wondering if anything has changed since BREXIT.

I read only that the CTA (Common Travel Agreement) which British citizens still enjoy even after BREXIT does not cover their non-EU spouses. Based on that information, I applied for a 6-month visa for her yesterday and also booked an appointment with the Visa Application Center (TLS). Btw, those TLS people can rip you off!!

However, I stil would like to be enlightened by the knowledgeable people in the house if it was right for her to apply for UK visa OR if she can still travel to the UK without visa, especially when we will be travelling together. I would appreciate any official links that corroborate the facts.

No, you don't need UK visa.
I was in same situation as you are before, as long as she|(he) goes with you (british citizen), custom has to let you go. this was confirmed by Irish immigration officer and UK border control.
One time i was stopped by UK border and I was told I must go with my british wife, anyway they let me cross the border finnaly.

mrworld9

Post by mrworld9 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:06 am

Thanks @alan1973.

Was this post BREXIT? Thank you.

mrworld9

Post by mrworld9 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:13 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:22 am
mrworld9 wrote:
non-EU spouse who has a permanent residence through the Withdrawal Agreement.
What is this exactly? EU Settled Status in the UK?
If she hold a valid EUSS under UK immigration rules then no visa required.
If not .... UK is now a 3rd country in relation to the EU and visa nationals need a visitor visa to enter the UK.
CTA is for British and Irish nationals only.

Thanks @alterhase58.

We live in Ireland and my wife is on the EU Spouse Status under the Withdrawal Agreement. I hope this explains our situation better.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:17 am

Based on your previous posts, your spouse/child are Nigerian?

They need a visa to visit the UK.

Please always bear in mind that the UK and Rep of Ireland share immigration information.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mrworld9

Post by mrworld9 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:27 am

CR001 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:17 am
Based on your previous posts, your spouse/child are Nigerian?

They need a visa to visit the UK.

Please always bear in mind that the UK and Rep of Ireland share immigration information.
You are correct! But I believe the same thing should apply to all non-EU spouses regardless of the country of nationality.

Like I mentioned earlier, we travelled together in 2018 without her needing a UK visa. Did this change after BREXIT? Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:33 am

But I believe the same thing should apply to all non-EU spouses regardless of the country of nationality.
Not all nationalities require a pre-approved visa. Many get a visa on arrival, ie. New Zealand, Australia, USA etc.
Like I mentioned earlier, we travelled together in 2018 without her needing a UK visa.
That was obviously pre-Brexit when the UK was still part of the EU.
Did this change after BREXIT?

Yes obviously as the UK is no longer part of the EU.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:43 am

mrworld9 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:27 am
You are correct! But I believe the same thing should apply to all non-EU spouses regardless of the country of nationality.
The fact that she's a nonEU spouse of a British citizen doesn't play any role on her right to be in the UK on its own, so same thing applies to spouses, just not in the good way. It depends on spouse's personal documents.
Like I mentioned earlier, we travelled together in 2018 without her needing a UK visa. Did this change after BREXIT? Thank you.
Yes.
Before, as a spouse of someone exercising EU treaty rights and accompanying them, she was able to use EU free movement directive and go without a visa. Now it's gone.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

mrworld9

Post by mrworld9 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:20 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:33 am
But I believe the same thing should apply to all non-EU spouses regardless of the country of nationality.
Not all nationalities require a pre-approved visa. Many get a visa on arrival, ie. New Zealand, Australia, USA etc.
Like I mentioned earlier, we travelled together in 2018 without her needing a UK visa.
That was obviously pre-Brexit when the UK was still part of the EU.
Did this change after BREXIT?

Yes obviously as the UK is no longer part of the EU.

Thanks a million for the detailed explanation, @CR001. Much appreciated.

mrworld9

Post by mrworld9 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:21 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:43 am
mrworld9 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:27 am
The fact that she's a nonEU spouse of a British citizen doesn't play any role on her right to be in the UK on its own, so same thing applies to spouses, just not in the good way. It depends on spouse's personal documents.
Yes.
Before, as a spouse of someone exercising EU treaty rights and accompanying them, she was able to use EU free movement directive and go without a visa. Now it's gone.

Thanks @meself2. We have applied anyway and hope the visa will be ready for the Easter trip. Cheers

alan1973
Ireland

Post by alan1973 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:30 pm

mrworld9 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:06 am
Thanks @alan1973.

yes, after BREXIT.
you may get lots of confusing info around, but they may not true.
i have daughter working in UK, so i travel between offenly. I went to irish immigration office and ask them this question, the answer is very simple: go with your british wife, no problem. go alone, a little bit trouble but as long as good reason given, should be okay but not advised (somebody was deported back from UK before).
As I mentioned, I was stopped before by UK border, a couple of questiones and told me that: you must come to UK with your wife, otherwise they have right to deport me. anyway, they let me pass eventually.
I held a 10 year IRP. ( now irish citizen, so no trouble any more)
Hope this can help.

mrworld9

Post by mrworld9 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:11 pm

alan1973 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:30 pm
mrworld9 wrote:
Thanks @alan1973.

yes, after BREXIT.
i have daughter working in UK, so i travel between offenly. I went to irish immigration office and ask them this question, the answer is very simple: go with your british wife, no problem. go alone, a little bit trouble but as long as good reason given, should be okay but not advised (somebody was deported back from UK before).
As I mentioned, I was stopped before by UK border, a couple of questiones and told me that: you must come to UK with your wife, otherwise they have right to deport me. anyway, they let me pass eventually.
Hope this can help.

Thank you @alan1973. I realy appreciate your contribution. For the benefit of others in similar situation, I will come back here after the trip to share our experience with the immigration officers. Cheers.

tugii20
Ireland

Post by tugii20 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:43 pm

mrworld9 wrote:
Hi all,

never heard that before, non eu spouse of British citizen don't need visa travel to UK?
I myself went with my non eu spouse to London before Brexit and she applied uk visa and got 6 months visa
and at the airport there was no immigration check at the airport because of common travel area.
may be you were lucky travelled to uk without visa AND lots of people travel by road too(no checking point)

mrworld9

Post by mrworld9 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:04 pm

alan1973 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:30 pm
mrworld9 wrote:
Thanks @alan1973.

yes, after BREXIT.
Hope this can help.

Thanks very much for you contribution @alan1973 and others, too.

I successfully travelled to the UK with my non-EU spouse without her needing to obtain a UK visa EVEN AFTER BREXIT. However, it wasn't smooth sailing and I probably would advise anyone in the same situation to get the visa to avoid all the hassles.

We were flying into Luton airport and on getting to the Ryanair counter at the Dublin airport, the young lady checking visas was adamant that my wife needed a visa until I requested to speak with her manager. She collected our passports and went to discuss our matter with the manager and after several minutes, she came back to say that the manager would not allow us to travel because my wife didn't have a UK visa.

I had to insist on meeting the manager myself and when I met, she told me she already called immigration and they confirmed to her that my wife would need a visa to travel to the UK. Thankfully, her colleague who was obviously more enlighted joined in the conversation and urged her to call the immigration again and explain that we were travelling together and we had our marriage cert with us.

She redialled the immigration line and after much back and forth, they requested that the lady scan our document and send to them. Fortunately, we were allowed to proceed on the journey.

I don't think it's really worth the stress. easy to just get the visa and have piece of mind.

Thank you all.