ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

H1 B Visa for British Nationals

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

AquaMan
Newly Registered
India

H1 B Visa for British Nationals

Post by AquaMan » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:01 pm

Hi,

I am currently in UK on Indian passport and expecting to get the British passport in 3-4 months.

I am looking to apply for H1B this year.

Here is my plan of action
a) British passport application is in process and expect it to take 4-6 months to arrive
b) apply H1B for this intake using indian passport
c) switch H1B process from indian passport to British passport ( not sure this is possible?)
c) come to US on British passport H1B
d) apply for Green card using British passport

Below are my questions:

1) During the H1B visa process I will get the British passport and loose the Indian passport to the embassy. What will happen with my H1B application in this scenario. is it still valid without my indian passport?

2) is it true that with the British passport the green card process is quicker (18 months) compared to 14 years on Indian passport.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: H1 B Visa for British Nationals

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:13 pm

a) British passport application is in process and expect it to take 4-6 months to arrive
You have applied for naturalisation as British citizen. You have not yet applied for a British passport. They are two separate things. Naturalisation application can take up to 6 months, sometime longer. It can take a few weeks after approval before you attend your ceremony. You can only apply for a British passport once you have attended the ceremony. British passports are taking 6 to 10 weeks at the moment. You have to send your Indian passport to HMPO when you apply for your British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AquaMan
Newly Registered
India

Post by AquaMan » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:01 pm

Yes I know that Naturalization and British passport are 2 different things and I have applied for Naturalization I am just trying to say I am in the process of getting British passport which might take longer and wont happen before I apply for H1B.

The point/concern here is British passport can come at any point during H1B process or after.

Scenario 1: Get British passport during the H1B process. what are my options here?

Scenario 2: British passport arrives after H1B gets approved on Indian Passport. Assuming H1B visa is a stamp on indian passport and I will have to handover the Indian passport to the embassy. What are my options here, do I need to go for another visa stamping ?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:57 am

AquaMan wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:01 pm
Yes I know that Naturalization and British passport are 2 different things and I have applied for Naturalization I am just trying to say I am in the process of getting British passport which might take longer and wont happen before I apply for H1B.

The point/concern here is British passport can come at any point during H1B process or after.

Scenario 1: Get British passport during the H1B process. what are my options here?Nice to know your options, but not sure it would work. If you had citizenship of a country that allows dual citizenship, then it might be ok. The visa would be approved to you as an Indian. At the time you're planning to enter the US, you're no longer Indian. Your nationality would be clearly printed on your visa. Change of nationality makes it invalid.

Scenario 2: British passport arrives after H1B gets approved on Indian Passport. Assuming H1B visa is a stamp on indian passport and I will have to handover the Indian passport to the embassy. What are my options here, do I need to go for another visa stamping ? As above, not going to work, you need to wait till you get BP. Sticker visas can't be transposed from one passport to another. Apart from the clear details on your visa like name, issue date, expiry date and all. There's still a barcode at the bottom that reflects your name, DOB, nationality and passport number. And most importantly, you have to submit your passport back to the Indian embassy. Zero chance it works.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

AquaMan
Newly Registered
India

Post by AquaMan » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:49 pm

Thanks for the reply TickTack.

so basically I need to apply for H1B after getting the british passport if I still want the british passport.

Is it true that when applying on british nationality the waiting time for green card is around 18 months?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:02 pm

AquaMan wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:49 pm
Thanks for the reply TickTack.

so basically I need to apply for H1B after getting the british passport if I still want the british passport.

Is it true that when applying on british nationality the waiting time for green card is around 18 months?
I think it's the K1 visa that takes that long. The H1B is probably between 4-7 months.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

seth22
Newly Registered
India

Post by seth22 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:46 pm

This is more of a question to your h1b sponsor's attorney who handle their h1b filings.
I have heard there is way , the attorney needs to submit a form (not sure which one) to USCIS but you will need to go for H1B visa stamping again so you get a new visa stamped on your british passport.

Also your Green card processing timeline is not based on your nationality but your country of birth.
If it is India, that's like 15+ years waiting time on EB2.

If you have managed to transfer your visa to your british passport, you could post here what was the procedure for others to know. Thanks