ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ancestry Visa - Gaps in GOV info.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

TFM2023
Newly Registered

Ancestry Visa - Gaps in GOV info.

Post by TFM2023 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:55 pm

Hi there, wondering if someone can help me clarify wether If I go home to Australia for a few years from the UK on an ancestry visa, (Have been here for 2 years on Youth Mobility, 3 on Ancestry) can I reapply the same route and pay the fees again? Thanks

there are gaps online and say you have to reapply before it ends etc

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Ancestry Visa - Gaps in GOV info.

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:37 am

Yes, you can apply for an ancestry visa as many times as you wish.

You cannot apply for a youth mobility visa again, you can only get this visa once
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

TFM2023
Newly Registered

Post by TFM2023 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:12 pm

Thanks so much for the reply... since your message we have a few developments and I am still struggling to find the correct form or confirmation of info.

I found out my mother (born in Australia, with an Australian citizenship but is of British Descent, both parents born in Scotland) moved back to the UK and became a British citizen in 1982, she had the passport until 1992, I was born 1994 (In Australia)

As she is still considered a Dual Citizen (Her British passport says British Citizen)

Am I entitled to apply for a passport?

If so, would I need her physical passport to submit, or would scans be fine?

Would it be good for her to apply for a new one, or documents?

I truly appreciate the advice offered here, there are so many gaps and hard to know who is best to speak to. I called the gov helpline and the very helpful lady said "It is not my fault if you do not understand the website"...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:17 pm

became a British citizen in 1982,
What exactly do you mean by this? She would have been automatically British by Descent if her father was British born and her parents were married at the time of her birth. So unsure what you mean by 'she became British in 1982'. If you mean applied for a passport, that is just a travel document.
Am I entitled to apply for a passport?
No, as your mother, a British Citizen by Descent, cannot pass on her citizenship to her children who are born abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

TFM2023
Newly Registered

Post by TFM2023 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:17 pm

Oh ok, thank you, she wasn't given a British passport at birth as she was born in Australia, but did come back to the UK and applied for one, but as you pointed out, she was already technically a citizen and cannot pass it on to me. Thanks for clearing it up.

So the repeated Ancestry application route would be the way forward then, if I was to leave the country for a period (Expected 2/3 years for family but to plan to return)