ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

query on the referee eligability

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alyeltrem
Newly Registered

query on the referee eligability

Post by alyeltrem » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:25 pm

Hi,

I am now applying to become a UK citizen and looking at the referee requirements. One of the requirements is:

"...know or have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years".

Does that mean they don't have to know me more than 3 years? I moved to a new place and the people I want to ask for refereeing know me only for 1.5 years, but they fulfil all other requirements. For example, my line manager.

It would be really great if someone can clarify this.

Kind regards
alyeltrem

Deryck
Newly Registered

Re: query on the referee eligability

Post by Deryck » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:49 pm

If they know you for less than 3 years they do not qualify. You have to find someone else who knows you for 3 years.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:13 pm

What about the people you know from the old place? Referees don't necessarily have to live nearby.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alyeltrem
Newly Registered

Post by alyeltrem » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:25 pm

Thank you. Yes, I will contact my previous colleagues and they should be fine, although it might take some time.

Another quick question: can my brother's spouse be a referee? We have the same surname after their marriage, does she qualify for a referee or she is a relative?

Cheers

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:29 pm

can my brother's spouse be a referee? We have the same surname after their marriage, does she qualify for a referee or she is a relative?
No you cannot use a family member. A referee cannot be anyone related to you through blood or marriage.

The referee can also not be related to the other referee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alyeltrem
Newly Registered

Post by alyeltrem » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:54 am

It is now all sorted.

There is another confusing question in the naturilisation application, please see below:

Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?

I have lived & worked in the UK from 2017 until now and have made 4 General Tier 2 and 1 ILR applications. Do I have to mentioned all these?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:02 pm

There is another confusing question in the naturilisation application, please see below:

Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?
It is not 'confusing'.
I have lived & worked in the UK from 2017 until now and have made 4 General Tier 2 and 1 ILR applications. Do I have to mentioned all these?
Yes, all (any) immigration applications as the question clearly asks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.